MSD Tech Support Forums

Go Back   MSD Tech Support Forums > MSD Ignition Forums > Applications

Applications Which ignition is right for your vehicle.

Old 07-08-2007, 10:25 PM

Default street fighter upgrade

What would be the best ignition upgrade or should I say the most economical bump for a street fire on a 350 with 10:1 compression, a Comp 280H with 230 duratration tied to a 3000 stall and 3:73 rearend.

I'm looking at the 6a, which one will work with the street fighter? and what issus will I be challenged with. I believe platinum plugs are a no go and should stay with copper??? what about advance and the impact of adding this. The motor has very low vacuum 12-13 inches in park and 6 in gear.

Goal is to releive the rpm drop by combining the correct powervalve for the carb along with bettering the ignition timing.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:09 PM

Default Help

ok now i know i could supply more info here but am really wanting to fix this low rpm/low vacuum issue and believe the problem lies with the lack of agressive spark at the point where this cam lunges over...

Any body have a similiar motor or run across a similiar issue: 280H Comp Cam with not just the normal rough idle but a drop in RPMs (about half 1100 to 600) same on Vacuum (12 down to 6 inches). Stalling at the intersections... I'll post the actual timings this weekend

Looking to upgrade the ignition, currently as a street fighter and am questioning this as with a powervalve for the carb.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:10 AM
MSD Tech

A 6A, (PN 6200) or a 6AL, (PN 6420) will work fine with that distributor and will give added energy to the spark plugs as well as a multi-spark function that will spark the plug multiple times during each firing at rpm's below 3,000 rpm.