MSD Tech Support Forums

Go Back   MSD Tech Support Forums > MSD Ignition Forums > Pro Data+ Software

Pro Data+ Software Questions concerning our Pro Data+ Software

Old 10-16-2006, 06:09 PM

Question High Gear Retard benefits

I have never messed with a high gear retard on my car. What are the amounts of timing, on average, would need to be pulled out in high gear to see a difference? What differences should I see? Right now, my car runs about 114 mph in the 8th mile with an E.T. of around 6.00. Also, can I get a simple explanation on how to do this correctly with an 8977?
Old 10-17-2006, 10:21 AM

93Hatch434,

The amount needed or the gains to be seen will really be dependent on the application. Some will see more gains then others. No4rmally I tell people to take a small amount out at the top of high gear and watch MPH. Keep retarding the timing as long as MPH continues to climb. Once it levels off that is enough retard. You might also try running a few degrees more down low if traction allows and see if you pick up down low. You would then retard the timing through the mid gears to the safe number and retard up high if the engine likes it. This way you get the best gains across the board. The biggest thing is watch for signs of detonation on the plugs watch you incremental times for improvement and adjust accordingly.

Thanks,

MSD tech4