MSD Tech Support Forums

Go Back   MSD Tech Support Forums > MSD Ignition Forums > Trouble-Shooting

Trouble-Shooting Diagnose your ignition

Old 07-24-2006, 06:01 PM

Question boost timing master

I had recently purchased a Holley procharger and an msd timing master for my 86 mustang.I had run the car about six times now and it really rocks but the last time I was driving it , it developed a backfire through the carb at low boost (2-3lbs) if you stay out of boost, the car runs great.Im only running 5-7lbs boost w/retard starting at 1lb/2degrees.Car was running great at this setting until this backfire came about.total advance is 36d.Im also running 110 torco fuel to help elliminate detonation.Any suggestion, is something going on with boost controller.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:53 AM

I would take 2 or 3 degrees more timing away from it once and try it sound more like detonation still to me, at 7 psi I am running 31 degrees of timing with VP C16.

Joe
Old 07-27-2006, 10:36 AM
Tech Support

Were there any other changes made just before the problem came up?
Old 08-21-2006, 07:05 AM

No. I had recently talked to one of your tech guys and they told me to shield the wire lead from the distributor to the bcm w/tin foil and ground to chasis.I did this and i still have the same problem,it works good at first and then it creeps up on you. I then turnd the control knob to 0 and it dosent backfire anymore but i also dont have timing retard when the knob is set at 0 if im correct here. Any other sugjestions?
Old 08-30-2006, 08:17 AM
Tech Support

How old is this BTM? What do you have the start point set at? How many psi of boost is the motor normally seeing? The knob is not just 1, 2, or 3. It is linear meaning if you give it a half turn into 1 it will give you half a degree of retard. Have you tried setting the starting point a little higher? Let us know.