MSD Tech Support Forums

Go Back   MSD Tech Support Forums > MSD Ignition Forums > Trouble-Shooting

Trouble-Shooting Diagnose your ignition

Old 06-21-2005, 03:20 AM

I have an MSD Digital 6 plus ignition with a 8207 MSD ignition coil on my 1996 Prelude. My problem is that when the temperature of the engine and the weather warms up, my MSD unit acts up. It seems that my rev limiter or something that feels like a rev limiter sets itself to 2500 RPMS. It will not let me advance past 2500 in each gear. When the car is cool it runs fine and strong. The Ignition was on the car when I bought it so I did not put it in. I just bought a brand new unit tonight but am wondering what would cause this and if it was necessary to even buy a new unit. Do some units just go bad after time? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks alot.
Old 06-21-2005, 08:33 AM
msdtechsupport1

If there was a problem with the MSD, it would not run at all. It sounds like you may need to go to a colder spark plug. We recommend using a standard type (no platinum, iridium, ect,), that is a heat range or two colder. Make sure you open up the gap 0.010" to 0.015" over the stock setting.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:30 PM

Thanks. What brand and style of spark plug would qualify as a colder and standard spark plug? Do you think that this problem is as simple as this? It has been going on for a few months now (now that the outside temp has warmed up). I have had several mechanics stumped. It is not possible that the whole MSD unit is just malfunctioning at certain times? Thanks a bunch.
Old 06-21-2005, 04:14 PM
msdtechsupport1

We don't have a specific recommendation as far as brand goes. Any standard copper plug will do. A plug that is too hot will not work peoperly with a CD ignition like the MSD. This is why Platinum, iridium, and other "trick" plugs do not work. They run hotter to begin with and when used with a CD ignition, will prematurley fail.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:02 PM

Well, here we go. I bought a copper spark plug set and I gapped them .01 over the stock setting like you said. Still same problem. Stutters at 2500 RPM (like a rev limiter). My local mechanic bypassed the MSD unit yesturday and hooked up my stock ignition with "NO" problems what-so-ever. Then as soon as he hooked up my MSD unit again, the stuttering occurred. So wouldn't you say the problem is my MSD unit? Any new ideas? Thanks alot for the help.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:52 PM

Recently, there have been a number of Digital 6 problems that sound like the one you describe. Not much information, just that the engine won't rev past a certain point. So far, none of those people have sent their Digital 6 in for checkout and followed up with what the actual problem really IS.

I will say this much: Your stock ignition and stock wiring has been designed and factory installed in a way that most people cannot or will not duplicate when they install their aftermarket products. Thus, it is not suprising that your stock ignition works OK. That really does NOT tell us anything useful about your aftermarket ignition problem.

Electrical products can suffer from poor connections, incorrect wiring and general carelessness during installation. When there is a problem, it is a rare thing if someone actually breaks out the owner's manual along with a multimeter and flashlight and goes for a real close look at what they just did or did not do during the install process. We'ld all like to know how to help, but so far nobody has been willing to complete the troubleshooting process and report back. With a hot ignition, everything has to work as a system. You can't just install the Digital 6 by itself and expect wonders. The proper coil and helically wound spark wires are a MUST!! Then, when all the right stuff is hooked up properly, we need to make certain that you have the right trigger to operate the Digital 6.

Well....we're waiting!

-Lazarus
Old 06-22-2005, 01:59 AM

When I purchased the car 6 months ago, all of the ignition components were already preinstalled. It was all installed nearly 3 years ago and the two previous owners claimed that there has been no such a problem with the ignition. So are these possible problems even an option?: "poor connections, incorrect wiring and general carelessness during installation." This problem has only arisen within the past month or so. I had no such a problem earlier when the temperatures were cooler. Now that the environmental temperature is warming up, the problem is now an issue. Maybe the unit just took "a dump" on me. I think that is a strong possibilty. I am not questioning the awesome products that MSD puts onto the market, but I do think it is a possibility that it just may have developed a malfunction of somesort. I did order a new digital 6 unit and I plan on having it installed professionally. If the new unit eliminates the problem, I would be willing to send my old unit to MSD for troubleshooting. Since noone followed through with the diagnosis of the problems that we are having, maybe that would be a way to get to the bottom of it. What do you say?
Old 06-22-2005, 08:33 AM
msdtechsupport1

If you've gone over all of the trouble shooting and the problem persists, there may be a problem with the Digital 6 Plus. If you would like, you can send the unit into our repair department and we'll take a look at it. In-house time is 10 to 12 days and you'll need to call us first for an RMA number.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:30 PM

What would troubleshooting consist of? I do not have a manual for the MSD unit. Please help me out any way you can in that department before I do the unit swap. If the problem does turn out to be with the Digital 6 Plus, then I would like to send it in, for research purposes. I do not have a warranty card or the proof of purchase. Does this mean I would end up paying for the troubleshooting and repairing of the unit? I am asking this due to the fact that so many people are having similar problems and so many people want to get to the bottom of this. Thanks.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:55 AM
msdtechsupport1

If you don't have the instructions for the Digital 6, you can use this link to download them.
http://www.msdignition.com/downld1.htm Check out pages 9 and 10.

Maximum repair charge is $76 if the unit is not under warranty which is 1 year from the date of purchase. If you do send the unit in, you'll need to call us here in the customer service department to get an RMA.