MSD Tech Support Forums

Go Back   MSD Tech Support Forums > MSD Ignition Forums > Pro Data+ Software

Pro Data+ Software Questions concerning our Pro Data+ Software

Old 12-11-2012, 11:12 AM

Default initial distributor timing

I have an MSD 6al programmable ignition and a gutted Honda distributor that has only the magnetic trigger connected to the green and purple wires on the MSD ignition. The distributor has absolutely no advance capabilities.

This is on an 89 honda civic with a dual overhead cam Japan Domestic Market engine (ZC) and no engine management system. I removed all fuel injection and computers and added a Weber downdraft 38/38 carburetor.

Please tell me in plain English (no acronyms and no names of instruments that have never heard of) where to set the distributor timing before I start configuring the curve?

Do I set the distributor at top dead center (0), at factor advance for idle (5 degrees before top dead center) or do I have to figure out how to set it at at the final advance where I want the timing curve to begin (14.5 degrees before top dead center)?

The distributor is not very adjustable, so if I have to set it at 14.5 before top dead center, I will have to modify it.

Please help. This is confusing to me.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:42 AM

you would set it at max ( total timing)

example: 38 degrees.:
6530advance 38for the web.JPG
Old 12-11-2012, 12:01 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. I think I understand. It will not be difficult to make the modification, but setting the timing at 14.5 might not be so easy (measuring and marking the pulley at 14.5 degrees).

To be clear, this controller can only retard timing, right? It cannot advance timing because that would require some type of time travel. So, in order to get the same result, we are mechanically setting the max advance and then retarding it from there. Do I have the right idea?

Thanks again for the response. I really appreciate it.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 rx7 View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. I think I understand. It will not be difficult to make the modification, but setting the timing at 14.5 might not be so easy (measuring and marking the pulley at 14.5 degrees).

To be clear, this controller can only retard timing, right? It cannot advance timing because that would require some type of time travel. So, in order to get the same result, we are mechanically setting the max advance and then retarding it from there. Do I have the right idea?

Thanks again for the response. I really appreciate it.
That is correct.

All electronic timing devices cannot advance, they all retard.

They need to see the trigger first.

Ideally you should set your timing at about 10 to start the engine, since it may be difficult to start at 38.
Once the engine is running wind the distributor up to your max of 38, then implement your timing curve.
Then check your timing versus rpm with your timing light.

Gary
Old 12-11-2012, 01:24 PM

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 rx7 View Post
invest in some timing tape, this will help out .

Quote:

Thanks again for the response. I really appreciate it.[/QUOTE
]

yes, it works off of retard....when your ready for help on the graph.
contact us any time. ( msdtech@msdperformance.com)
Old 12-11-2012, 01:43 PM

I will do that. Thanks!
First, I have to figure out how to modify the distributor. It works great with the MSD modified cap and rotor, by the way.