MSD Tech Support Forums

Go Back   MSD Tech Support Forums > MSD General Discussion Forums > Bench Racing

Bench Racing A place to talk about anything racing, cruising, your car, etc...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 07-23-2012, 11:29 AM
Beyond's Avatar
Beyond Beyond is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 50
Default Power Grid and Voltage spikes?

How susceptible is the power grid inputs to voltage spikes such as those coming from a transbrake solenoid? This is just an out of curiosity question. I have to assume you guys have some kind of snubber circuit in it of some sort right?

On another note, apparently there must be a large capacitor in the either the 7730 or 7730 as I've noticed that the volage takes about 10 seconds to bleed off when the battery is disconnected. Does this mean there isn't a need for that big external cap you guys used to sell?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-23-2012, 01:51 PM
msdtech1955's Avatar
msdtech1955 msdtech1955 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 9,087
Default

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyond View Post
How susceptible is the power grid inputs to voltage spikes such as those coming from a transbrake solenoid? This is just an out of curiosity question. I have to assume you guys have some kind of snubber circuit in it of some sort right?

not really, because of this...we can see if the micro switch was boucing
on the launch and burnout input circuits
( see example)
on this , you can see where the lauch limit was re-connected several times.


Quote:
On another note, apparently there must be a large capacitor in the either the 7730 or 7730 as I've noticed that the volage takes about 10 seconds to bleed off when the battery is disconnected. Does this mean there isn't a need for that big external cap you guys used to sell?
well, yes the "main " cap on the circuit is for the coil output...and will do that .but, the purpose of the 8830 is to smooth out any battery input voltage spikes that may occur from an alternator or a battery charger.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg voltage spikes.jpg (36.5 KB, 21 views)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-23-2012, 01:55 PM
msdtech1955's Avatar
msdtech1955 msdtech1955 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 9,087
Default

here is a "clean use of a tranbrake button not bouncing"

voltage spikes2.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg voltage spikes 3.jpg (42.1 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by msdtech1955; 07-23-2012 at 01:58 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-23-2012, 04:24 PM
Beyond's Avatar
Beyond Beyond is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 50
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdtech1955 View Post
here is a "clean use of a tranbrake button not bouncing"
I don't think we're quite on the same page here. I'm referring to excessive voltage spikes like when a large solenoid is switched off. Like in excess of 100 volts, do you have something to protect from that? I have to assume you do, other wise there would be a lot of dead MSD boxes laying around. Maybe it's a rhetorical question...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-23-2012, 05:25 PM
msdtech1955's Avatar
msdtech1955 msdtech1955 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 9,087
Default

o, yes ..the "kick back" from the coil ....will not harm the inputs /...
like the tranbrake and nitrous solenoids with the stage retards.

did you run yet ?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-24-2012, 08:29 AM
Beyond's Avatar
Beyond Beyond is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 50
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdtech1955 View Post
o, yes ..the "kick back" from the coil ....will not harm the inputs /...
like the tranbrake and nitrous solenoids with the stage retards.

did you run yet ?
Good to know.

No, I'm not running yet. Just about ready to test out your instructions on upgrading the firmware. OBTW - check the YB Forums, you have some major errors in the instructions for the ARC, need to fix those!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-24-2012, 09:10 AM
msdtech1955's Avatar
msdtech1955 msdtech1955 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 9,087
Default

on it .
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2011 MSD Performance