MSD Tech Support Forums

Go Back   MSD Tech Support Forums > MSD Ignition Forums > Trouble-Shooting

Trouble-Shooting Diagnose your ignition

Old 05-21-2012, 03:02 PM

Default 8361 Distributor Not Fully Advancing

Just installed a new MSD 8361 distributor in my 383ci SBC, and the timing isn't going to full advance.

I put in the 18 degree black bushing, setting the initial timing at 18 degrees, hoping for 36 degrees total. But when checking the advance, it's only going up 10 degrees to 28 total, no matter how much I rev it up. Yes, I'm checking with the vacuum advance disconnected, and I'm using a basic Craftsman timing light, not a "dial-back" type. I'm running the two light blue springs on the centrifugal weights, and it's hooked up to a digital 6AL #6425.

What should I be looking for to find out why I'm not getting the full amount of advance that's supposed to be in the distributor? Thanks.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:38 PM

Remove the rotor and see if the weights can travel by hand all the way to the stop bushing.

Gary
Old 05-21-2012, 10:37 PM

Given that the bushing is underneath the plates, it's not easy to see when the distributor is installed. But as near as I can tell with a mirror and a flashlight, the slot seems to be getting full travel. The plate moves easily, and there's about 1/8" worth of travel, with the opening of the slot sliding from one side of the bushing to the other when I twist it. It really doesn't seem like there should be anything wrong based on how smooth it all feels like it's working, and I only have about ten miles on the distributor so far, so there's no rust or corrosion build up. But there's no doubt that the advance is only going about 10 degrees, according to my timing light.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:19 AM

look to see if the washer or not holding the bushing on ...is hitting anywhere
and stoping it from advance-ing!

but,keep in mind .....with the light blue springs, advance will not be totally in till about 2200 - 2500 rpm's.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdtech1955 View Post
look to see if the washer or not holding the bushing on ...is hitting anywhere
and stoping it from advance-ing!

but,keep in mind .....with the light blue springs, advance will not be totally in till about 2200 - 2500 rpm's.
Nothing that I could see was stopping the travel, it all seems smooth enough. I guess at some point I will have to take it all apart again if no one can suggest anything to actually do about it. I'll monitor it for a while after I drive it some more too.

I put the light blue springs in to get exactly that curve, but it stops at 28 degrees around 1800 RPM, then stays there until around 4500+. I didn't feel like free reving it any more than that while parked in my garage...