MSD Tech Support Forums

Go Back   MSD Tech Support Forums > MSD Powersports Forums > Powersports Trouble-Shooting

Powersports Trouble-Shooting Diagnose your powersports ignition

Old 10-18-2010, 04:33 PM

Default Points to MSD sachs single motor

Hello! I am going to attempt converting the points ignition on my sachs single cylinder snowmobile motor to MSD. After some research I purchased the 4217 Unit and matching coil, and wire. My first of what will end up being many questions is. What else do I need? from what I have seen so far my plan is to modify the original plate and flywheel. What do I use for a trigger? My 4217 is in the mail and I should have it by the end of the week.

Thanks guys!

Nick
Old 10-20-2010, 12:03 PM

So where do I start? Online directions anywhere?
Old 10-20-2010, 03:37 PM

The 4217 ignition can be triggered off a Hall Effect or magnetic trigger. We do offer a Hall Effect trigger part number 4154.The way the system works is a roll of magnets would need to be place on the face of the flywheel this would determine the amount of timing adjustment you would have. For example if you have a roll of magnets that covers 30 degrees of the diameter of the flywheel you have a 30 degree timing window. The system will only allow a maximum of 50 degrees of timing adjustment. If you have any other questions please contact me.

Thank you
Ray C.
1-915-856-2727
Old 10-20-2010, 08:38 PM

For a tether/kill switch is it a "normally open" or "normally closed" ignition? I am sure it will say in the information that comes with the stuff I am just trying to get things ordered and on their way.

Thank you!
Old 10-21-2010, 10:32 AM
Tech Support

Hello,
Just to clarify so that you don't get confused, your magnets would need to be mounted south side out towards the pickup in a row on the face of the flywheel towards the outside circumference of your flywheel. Depending on the size (diameter) of your flywheel would determine how many magnets you would need to achieve your desired timing . Your magnets would also have to be recessed flush on your flywheel and epoxied in with JB Weld or something similar. If you are looking for a kill feature you can "Y" off the white wire from the 4217 to a switch, whether it be a closed or open switch as long as it supplies ground it will kill it. There are other features to this ignition that you will probably have other questions on so please do not hesitate to give us a call. Thanks, Bret-MSD Powersports. 888-258-3835

Last edited by msdpstech1; 10-21-2010 at 01:43 PM.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:08 AM

Talked to Ray this morning got the info I needed for now. Going to start tinkering this weekend.

Here is the sled

and this is what we do with it.

Vintage Oval Racing

Thanks for the help guys!

Nick