MSD Tech Support Forums

Go Back   MSD Tech Support Forums > Dashhawk Discussion Forum > Dashhawk

Dashhawk Dashhawk related topics

Old 05-18-2009, 11:39 PM

Default 08 Dodge Charger Keyless Entry

The DashHawk is preventing the keyless entry from working on my 2008 Charger. When the DH is connected (current FW) and the car is power cycled a few times, the next time I go to unlock the car nothing happens. If I wait 20 seconds after I press the unlock, then the keyless entry system works. It is like the DH is preventing the car systems from working while it sleeps, and then when the DH wakes up and polls the system the keyless entry system is allowed to work. But next time the car is shut off for more than 10min the issues returns.

Any other 2008-2009 Dodge Charger owner with keyless entry having issues?

I am going to look for the build before the power saver stuff was added to DH and see what happens.

Of coarse if I unplug DH after it shuts down, keyless entry works fine.

Since DH interferes will all keyless entry functions including panic, this is a potential liability issue for MSD. If there are MSD personal monitoring this forum, report this issue to your legal department and see if they think it is acceptable.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:51 AM
Tech Support

This is the first time that a problem like this has been brought to our attention. We would like to send another DashHawk to you to see if the issue is repeatable. We will also send a call-tag to have your current version picked up by UPS so we can test the unit. We have contacted our partners in this product at Edge Performance and this is something they haven’t heard of either – so we need to get to the bottom of this one.

Please call or email me directly so we can get a new unit and call-tag placed. In the mean time we recommend that you unplug the Dashhawk when it is not in use to prevent any interference with the vehicle’s keyless remote system. Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention and we will work with you to resolve the issue. Shoot me an email-

Pestrada@msdignition.com

Thanks,
MSDTECH21

Last edited by msdtech21; 05-27-2009 at 09:04 AM.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:29 PM

MSDTech21,

Could you please email or PM the date I will receive the replacement DashHawk? I don't think it is a Hardware issue, but I an pretty certain it is a software issue.

When I loaded the previous release on my DH (without the power saver sleep function 2.40), the key-less entry system worked fine.

Anyways, I am now without any DH and have not received any updates or responses to my recent corrispondence with MSD. (my emails from 6/1 and 6/12 have not been answered.)
Old 06-16-2009, 12:44 PM

I have not been here much but after seeing this I wonder where MSD is going with the Dashhawk II. I love mine the way it is now. Granted I just noticed another update but 2 updates in 6 plus months versuses updates every week or two. I plan to stay at the 2.5 beta 9 version.

Is it a dead product in MSD line up?
Is there a replacement new product coming and if so what is it?
Just since the loss of Ken Mosher and the the team the product is nothing but stalled so I am assuming it is dead.
Just where has Ken gone?

Brian
Old 06-23-2009, 12:30 AM

Default New HW same issue.

I got the replacement DH today and loaded up the 2.51 version and it still prevents the keyless entry system from working correctly.

My testing shows that version 2.40 doesn't have the keyless entry issues. But while testing 2.40 on the charger, I eventually ended up with a dead battery (no battery saver function in that version.)
Old 06-25-2009, 12:47 PM

Default Battery Drain

I have some more information. When I load 2.4.0 the keyless entry works fine, but the unit will completely drain my battery in less than 3 days (If I just drive around town and don't hit the highway). I wonder if that is a clue to what is going on. I wonder if the Dash Hawk's chatter (polling) on the CAN bus is keeping some of the car systems from going to deep sleep and thus causing the rapid battery drain and also the keyless entry issue.

From the power consumption numbers Ken had posted in the past, I would not think that a good battery could be drained in less than a 8 weeks by the DH current needs alone. This is the reason that I think the DH's CAN activity is causing some other CAN bus controller to drain the battery.

This battery drain issue might be why the Mazda users of the DH always had dead batteries. My 2006 Dodge Truck does not have this battery drain issue with 2.4.0 or 2.5.1 software versions. With 2.4.0 my truck will have the battery go dead in about 4 weeks if I don't start the truck at all and it is below 10 degrees outside.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:44 AM

Default Any update MSD?

MSD, do you have any update for this issue?