MSD Tech Support Forums

Go Back   MSD Tech Support Forums > MSD Powersports Forums > Installation Questions

Installation Questions Wiring diagrams and tech notes for powersport applications

Old 07-22-2008, 04:51 AM

Default 4217 Questions - India

Hi,
I'm Joel from India.
I'm just picking up an MSD ignition kit for my 160cc suzuki small engine.
Will be using it for drag racing and I've just got a Race-cam profiled from webcams Inc. I have ordered the following, just want to know if I have left out anything else.
1 MSD-4217 IGNITION
1 MSD-8232 COIL SNGL TOWER CPC I
1 MSD-4154 MAGNETIC PICKUP

I was also told by a friend that there is a coin-sized special magnet that comes with the Hall effect pick-up to give signals to the magnet pick-up. Just wanna confirm if will come as part of this purchase or if I need to order it seperately, is there a part no?

I have a few doubts about the installation too .
Can I use the existing magnet by mounting the magnet pick-up outside?
Any specific gap that I need to maintain.
Also how I can determine the ideal position to mount the magnet pick-up?

Cheers,
Joel
Old 07-23-2008, 01:02 AM

No replies yet?
Old 07-23-2008, 09:17 AM
Tech Support

Default 4217

Hello,
You will also need part number 4309 magnets as these do not come with the 4154 Hall Effect pickup. This part number comes with a quantity of two magnets. The number of magnets you will need depends on how much adjustable timing you would like to have available. A good way to determine this is with a degree wheel. A printable degree wheel can be found fairly easily on the internet, you may be able to find one here; www.machinerycleanery.com. When using the 4154 pickup these magnets must be used and the South side needs to be facing towards the flat side, lower portion of the pickup. Does your application have a raised timing tab on the flywheel? If so you might be able to use the mag inputs of the 4217 instead of the Hall Effect. Otherwise a suitable mounting place for the pickup and more than likely a flywheel, preferably aluminum will need to fabricated. There is a reference in the instructions on how to mount the magnets in your flywheel. The illustration is a little deceiving. The magnets will actually be moved inward toward the center of the flywheel. 1/8" from the outside diameter of the flywheel should be sufficient. The flywheel needs to be counter bored so the magnets are flush with the surface and then use an epoxy to keep them from flying out. JB Weld or equivalent will work best. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks, Bret- MSD Powersports Tech
Old 07-24-2008, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdpstech1
Hello,
You will also need part number 4309 magnets as these do not come with the 4154 Hall Effect pickup. This part number comes with a quantity of two magnets. The number of magnets you will need depends on how much adjustable timing you would like to have available. A good way to determine this is with a degree wheel. A printable degree wheel can be found fairly easily on the internet, you may be able to find one here; www.machinerycleanery.com. When using the 4154 pickup these magnets must be used and the South side needs to be facing towards the flat side, lower portion of the pickup. Does your application have a raised timing tab on the flywheel? If so you might be able to use the mag inputs of the 4217 instead of the Hall Effect. Otherwise a suitable mounting place for the pickup and more than likely a flywheel, preferably aluminum will need to fabricated. There is a reference in the instructions on how to mount the magnets in your flywheel. The illustration is a little deceiving. The magnets will actually be moved inward toward the center of the flywheel. 1/8" from the outside diameter of the flywheel should be sufficient. The flywheel needs to be counter bored so the magnets are flush with the surface and then use an epoxy to keep them from flying out. JB Weld or equivalent will work best. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks, Bret- MSD Powersports Tech
Thanks Bret.
Yes the current magnet has a raised "PIP" which is 40mm away from the TDC mark/line on the magnet. The strip is about 1.2mm thick and is 15mm long.
So in this case I dont need a hall effect trigger? Would the stock pulsar do?(coz u said the 4217 can take care of it)
Also, when u say embedding the magnet in the magnet rotor by countering, do I place the magnet in the same place where the strip is currently?
Which works better, using the existing embedded strip on the rotor or the magnet that you provide?
I could send you a snap of my engine to give u an idea.

Joel
Old 07-24-2008, 10:46 AM
Tech Support

Default 4217

Hello,
If your flywheel does have the correct timing tab then you would not need a Hall Effect pickup or magnets to trigger the 4217. You would use the mag inputs as a trigger source. I would like to see a picture of your flywheel if that is possible. You can send it to me at bkugler@msdignition.com. Thanks again, Bret MSD Powersports Tech