MSD Tech Support Forums

Go Back   MSD Tech Support Forums > MSD Ignition Forums > Applications

Applications Which ignition is right for your vehicle.

Old 03-29-2008, 02:01 PM

Default E-Core vs. Oil Filled coils for 6A

I've heard both opinions.

Some say the oil filled canister coils are superior because the cooling oil keeps the temperature and internal resistance stable especially with a CDI ignition, which makes for a more reliable coil. The drawback is that the windings are not epoxy encased, so they are more prone to failure. This design also extremely old and not efficient by design.

Some say that the E-Core coils are superior in spark output because they are a more efficient design. The drawback that I see here is that epoxy is an awful heat conductor, and with a high output ignition, the windings are going to get hot and the internal resistance will go up. The heat could make the coil more failure prone or put more strain on the ignition box if the resistance gets high enough.

One thing I noticed was the E-Core coils had a lot less resistance than their canister counter parts, which to me means that they would generate less heat.

What is the better style coil to use a with a 6A ?

Last edited by Pyrotechnic; 03-30-2008 at 08:04 PM.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:28 AM
Tech Support

E-core coils are better used with CD ignitions. As you'll see most of our coils are the e-core type. Yes, the lower resistance not only means less heat it also means that the coil can charge faster as well, which is benificial at higher rpm.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:56 AM

Thanks. I know the Blaster HVC II is the best coil for the 6A at this point but it's a little out of my price range at the moment.

I was looking at the Blaster TFI coil. Will it work reliably with the 6A for long duration ? I do several 4 hour trips throughout the year at 3,000 RPM so longevity is important. I don't drive a Ford, but I like the simple connector, specs, and the price look nice. Being able to swap a stock TFI coil in it's place in a pinch is a good thing too.

What about the Blaster HVC II if I decide to upgrade, is it suitable for long duration highway driving ?
Old 04-08-2008, 09:40 AM
Tech Support

Yes, the Blaster TFI coil will handle long duration with the MSD 6-Series boxes. The Blaster TFI (PN 8227) is designed to be a direct bolt-on replacement for the factory Ford TFI coil. If you vehicle uses this type of coil it will be a good match. Otherwise I'd recommend the Blaster SS coil (PN 8207); this is more of a universal coil.

I use the Blaster HVC II on my somewhat daily driver with a Digital-6 ignition box and haven't had any problems with it. I haven't taken any long trips with it yet, however it should be able to handle it with no problem.
Old 04-11-2008, 03:19 PM

Thanks! Gonna go with the Blaster TFI and custom bracket since in the event of a failure, I can go to any parts store and grab a stock TFI coil.
Old 04-11-2008, 03:25 PM

Thanks! Gonna go with the Blaster TFI and custom bracket since in the event of a failure, I can go to any parts store and grab a stock TFI coil that will screw into the bracket.