MSD Tech Support Forums

Go Back   MSD Tech Support Forums > MSD Ignition Forums > Trouble-Shooting

Trouble-Shooting Diagnose your ignition

Old 11-06-2007, 07:05 PM

Default Rusty distributor

Has anyone encountered rust on their MSD distributor? I pulled the cap off of mine and there's a lot of rust and corrosion. MSD has said this can be caused when a engine is started and left to idle a few minutes then shut off, letting condensation build. This is not the case with my car. Even though it's only driven about 2,000 miles per year, it's always at least 20 miles, letting the engine warm up and stay at operating temperature. I recently did a minor tune up on my Suburban which is typically driven five or six miles one way then shut off and the distributor looked fine. Any input would be helpful. I've never seen anything like this.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:19 AM
Tech Support

Keep in mind when using a CD ignition that the energy passing through the distributor cap is greatly amplified. As the energy arcs from the rotor tip to the distributor cap it ionizes the air within the cap. If the air under the cap does not vent out sufficiently then the ionized air will oxidize the metals, combined with moisture in the air the oxidation process is accelerated.

You should be able to clean up the oxidation with emery cloth or scotch brite. You can apply a lite coat of dielectric grease to the metal surfaces to minimize the oxidation.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:52 PM

Default Rusty distributor

Thanks for the reply. After I posted my initial question, I did a search on "rust" and was surprised with the number of hits regarding rusty distributors. If the MSDs are more susceptible to ionization due to their higher energy output, why arenít vent holes drilled in the distributor and/or caps at the factory? It seems like this might be a reasonable preventative measure that could mitigate the rust problem.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:13 PM
Tech Support

We do offer a points style cap for the GM distributors that has those vents predrilled into it. However, this is not required for all installations. In fact on vehicles that are driven frequently in wet weather this can cause more problems by allowing more moisture in the cap.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:49 PM

OK. Works for me. Last question, for now; is it OK to run without a rev limiter in the 6AL box?
Thanks.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:25 AM
Tech Support

Yes, you can run the 6AL without the revlimiter chip plugged in. There will be no harm caused to the unit by doing this.