MSD Tech Support Forums

Go Back   MSD Tech Support Forums > MSD Ignition Forums > Trouble-Shooting

Trouble-Shooting Diagnose your ignition

Old 10-09-2012, 05:52 AM

Yes my car has a 4 position switch and it was working before i installed a painless wiring kit and the msd ignition. I am guessing the issue is with the painless wiring but their support hasnt been so good. This is how the switch is wired:

There are 8 prongs on my ignition switch.
2x Constant Power
1x Acc
2x IGN (Coil and Neutral safety switch wire)
1x Start (Fuel pump and not sure what else runs off the start wire)
2x Spare (1 will work as another Start if i put power to the other)

With the old wiring the Start wire prong used to connect to the IGN prong wire along the way, i assume to give it more Volts to create a spark under cranking.

If i try do this via a jumper wire then the fuel pump (not sure what else is connected to the Start wire) comes on with key at IGN but i then get sparks.

The only way i can think of is to Put power to one of the spare prongs and then jump the second spare prong (comes on under cranking) to the coil wire (connected to MSD). I am just unsure if this is the right way to do it.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:55 AM

And thanks for the reply, also would really be good to get that 'simple fix' you talked about as yes we established that it needs 12v for the module to work and we already know that is the problem.

The issue and fix we are looking for is why does the coil wire have 12v at IGN but then drop to 0 under START and a suggestion how to fix that would be great.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:36 AM

How about a high current diode from the start contact to the ignition contact?

12v will then be on the small red wire in both positions.

The start contact would be still 0v in the run position.

Why have you got the neutral safety switch wire off IGN? This may be your problem. This should be coming from "Start".

Gary

Last edited by Gaz64; 10-09-2012 at 08:40 AM.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:39 AM
Certified MSD Tech

the "coil wire" loses voltage because it needs a 2nd power source while cranking, on your fuse panel you say that there is a "start", if you can jump this wire over to the "ign" then you will have power on the "on" position and also while "cranking". this should take care of your problem.

by the way, the small red wire turns the MSD ignition box on and off.. 12 v's "on", no volts "off"
Old 10-09-2012, 04:26 PM

Thank you both, I think we have worked out it is how i have wired the switch up. I wired it up by using the same wire the painless kit had and replaced it where it was on the switch, Such as the purple neutral wire went to where it was last time.

I cant get a diagram up of my switch but:
- Top prong was Violet and went to Neutral safety switch - Replaced with Painlesses purple neutral safety ignition switch wire.

- Red wire was battery feed - Replaced with the 2 battery feeds from painless

- Brown wire was Accesories - Replaced with brown accessory wire

- Pink was coil wire - Replaced with Coil wire

- Yellow went to the coil wire and has power under Start - I assumed this was Painlesses orange wire that says 'Ignition Switched Fuse Panel'

I believe this wire to be the one that i have wired to the wrong place, not sure what else it runs but i know the fuel pump is connected to that circuit.

I only have 3 spare prongs, one is constant power, the other 2 have no power under any key turns unless i wire up a constant power supply to one and then the other has power under Start.

Do i have the wires in the right place as you have pointed out the Neutral safety doesnt sound right (does work though).

This is painlesses wiring instructions for Ignition switch.
Pur/Wht Ignition Start (Neutral Safety switch)
Pnk Ignition Coil
Brn Accessory Fuse Panel
Orn Ignition Switched Fuse Panel
Red* Battery B+
Red* Battery B+

Thank you both for the help, apologise if the above is confusing