MSD Tech Support Forums

Go Back   MSD Tech Support Forums > MSD Ignition Forums > Trouble-Shooting

Trouble-Shooting Diagnose your ignition

Old 09-24-2012, 10:08 PM

Angry 8367 Distributor Bad bad bad

I installed a MSD 8367 inmy 1992 GMC S15 Blazer with a 4.3 TBI engine. The Enine was completely overhauled 18K miles ago and the MSD 8367 was installed at engine overhaul. The distributor worked perfectly for 18K miles. Then problems stated happening. The distributor cap and rotor had excessive aching and the center post where the coil wire connects on the rotor cap fell out. The engine stated running rough. I replaced the rotor and cap with new MSD parts. The engine still continued to run rough and then the catylitic converter melted down. The cat and muffler were replaced. The engine continued to run rough and very rich. I ended up doing extensive trouble shooting to resolve the rough running engine and excessive rich issue. The entire TBI system was checked, fuel pressure measured 12 PSI MAP sensor was checked and found good. The ignition control module was checked and found good. The coolant temp sensor to the ECM wash checked and found good. The TBI was swapped with another one and the engine still ran rich. All vacuum connections were checked for leaks none found. the EGR valve was checked and found to be good. A timing light was put on the injectors and the spray pattern was found good with no dribbling of fuel from the injectors. I removed my engine ECM and tried it in another Blazer and it ran the other Blazer fine with no problems. The timing was checked and was found to be correct.

Out of pure frustrating I removed the MSD distributor and installed a stock replacement. The engine ran smooth with no issues once the MSD distributor was removed and replaced. I am scared at this point to deal with the MSD distributor and afraid of melting my new catalytic converter. I am very a disappointed with the 8367. Distributor and not sure where to go from this point.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:23 AM

only time i've seen that ..is when the rotor is not contacting the center
carbon ball in the cap.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:46 PM

I will be sending the MSD 8367 back and have a RA number to return it. I am very disappointed with this distributor. It has caused me a great deal of frustration and expense in repairs. I am running the MSD cap and rotor on the GMC factory distributor and the engine runs great! So there is no issue with the contact between the cap and rotor. I will be curious to see what MSD comes up after evaluating my 8367 that is being returned. One other thing to note is the magnetic pickup assembly was replaced as well as the cap and rotor once the running rich issue occurred. The second magnetic pickup made no difference engine still runs rough and rich with the second rotor and cap and second magnetic pick up assembly
Old 09-26-2012, 01:47 AM

Sounds like a rotor phasing issue.

Gary
Old 09-26-2012, 06:53 AM

what is the rma number .?
Old 09-27-2012, 05:31 PM

The RMA # is 92510. The distributor went out priority mail today and is expected to arrive to MSD in El Paso, TX on Sat 29, 2012.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:59 AM

thanks mr. maclean.