MSD Tech Support Forums

Go Back   MSD Tech Support Forums > MSD Ignition Forums > Pro Data+ Software

Pro Data+ Software Questions concerning our Pro Data+ Software

Old 04-27-2012, 07:08 PM

Default programming retard map on 6530

can someone help me with how to program the retard map with the 6530 on a laptop with the pro data software , cannot seem to do anything with the maps but i do have communications
Old 04-30-2012, 08:02 PM

Question

Sure hope you get an answer cause I'm looking at the same problem.
For the MSDTech that reads this.
I have a 358" small block with nitrous. I will probably want to program a street curve, more advance than optimal hp output (ie. 38 degrees) for a little better idle, a preformance curve (34 degrees), and a nitrous curve (31 degrees).
My dyno setup guy changed the springs on the dist. advance (85551 dist.) to heavy silver / very light copper color (smaller than the lightest silver) and a silver advance stop, 23 degrees initial, 34 degrees total.
A previous Tech. said the curve probably was probably around 9 degrees static.
I've got the program loaded, but have not hooked it up to the 6530 yet. Have not been able to program a curve into the laptop. Never asks about com port. I do have the usb adaptor your site recommends. Have not powered the 6530 up yet, dist. is locked out.
Any help really appreciated.
Thanks,
Paul
Old 05-01-2012, 08:49 AM
Certified MSD Tech

Here is an example of a boost and vacuum advance curve that I built for a 383 sbc and a 8-71 blower. It’s a street truck so I added a vacuum advance to it. What you need to first do is LOCK OUT your distributor and add a phase able rotor.
In this set up we are using a 85551 distributor so I added a 84211 phase able rotor. The reason for the rotor is because I'm taking out as much as -25° of timing.. This much timing without a crank trigger set up would not be possible without the rotor.

So I set my total timing at 42° because that is the most amount of timing that I will be giving the motor with vacuum advance included.
Once that is done you will need to set up your curves.
You will need to compensate for initial timing, so, you will need to first turn the ignition key on and find out what your atmospheric pressure is in the MAP scale. This will be a factor in your base timing.
(ie. Where I set this truck up it we were at about 4,000 ft above sea level so my red line moved over to about 12.5 on the MAP scale)
You will need to add a dot at this point, because as your turning the engine over your timing will be at that point. I put the MAP curve at -8° and -16° on my RUN CURVE file, if you add the two you will see that I am taking away a total of -24°. (Reason for rotor)

Your advance curve file makes more sense when you actually run the motor, remember you can keep the lap top hooked up to the ignition box while running the car. What I did was I sat in the passenger’s seat while my buddy drove the vehicle and made changes on the go.

I hope this example helps you understand a little more about what you will need to do to set up your box.

As for the NO2 set up this unit has a step retard wire that will take timing away when you spray, so no changes will need to be made to the programming.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6530 vac-boost curve.JPG (184.6 KB, 109 views)
Old 05-01-2012, 09:17 AM
Certified MSD Tech

lets see if this a better picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6530-ray.jpg (249.5 KB, 102 views)