MSD Tech Support Forums

Go Back   MSD Tech Support Forums > MSD Ignition Forums > Installation Questions

Installation Questions Wiring and Tech Information

Old 01-04-2012, 08:27 AM

No problem.

But how about Buick dizzy, is there any adjustable rotor for original Buick dizzy?

I know there is msd dizzy to replace original one, but i'm only lookin for adjustable rotor what fits to original dizzy.(if there is any)

Last edited by Co2; 01-04-2012 at 08:31 AM.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:50 AM
Tech Support

I was referring to the stock Buick distributor.
If the stock distributor uses a typical GM points style rotor and cap you can use our Adjustable Rotor PN 84211 along with our distributor cap PN 8433. The 8433 is our Red cap with the HEI style terminals. The 84211 allows for easier adjustment of the rotor phasing, using a two piece rotor. This way the vac can plate can be locked in the static position and you would use the rotor to "advance" the rotor as needed.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:33 AM

Thank you very much for assistance and patience!
That is exactly what i'm lookin for

Yes stock distributor uses typical GM points style rotor and cap (like PN 8437 cap), so all what i need is PN 84211 adjustable rotor. Only thing is were to find that rotor in finland oh...well that's my problem...

Thank you all for patience and help one more time!
Now i can proceed at my "project"

Best regards
Old 04-19-2012, 03:52 PM

Back again...

More question to be sure of my situation.

Ok, i checked and tested the rotor phasing following steps.

1. I loaded 6530v04 file to my 6530 box, so there should be no curves left.
2. I didn't touch distributor total timing at all, vacuum canister still attached but not in vacuum line.
3. Started the engine and checked the timing, total timing is about 42-43 degrees at idle.
4. Checked the rotor phasing, spark jumps on the leading edge, but it jumps way before the rotor reach the terminal. (about rotor width before terminal) continued testing...attached hose to vacuum canister and sucked the hose to get some vacuum to cannister...rotor tip moved even more away from terminal.

I did not removed vacuum canister to check what happens then.
So i believe i'm affected at rotor phasing. Easy fix for this must be pn 84211 rotor, correct?

If i move total timing, will phasing stay the same or do it move?
Do Rpm changes affect the phasing?
Suggestions what to do next?

Regards
Old 04-20-2012, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Co2 View Post
Back again...

More question to be sure of my situation.

Ok, i checked and tested the rotor phasing following steps.

1. I loaded 6530v04 file to my 6530 box, so there should be no curves left.
2. I didn't touch distributor total timing at all, vacuum canister still attached but not in vacuum line.
3. Started the engine and checked the timing, total timing is about 42-43 degrees at idle.
4. Checked the rotor phasing, spark jumps on the leading edge, but it jumps way before the rotor reach the terminal. (about rotor width before terminal) continued testing...attached hose to vacuum canister and sucked the hose to get some vacuum to cannister...rotor tip moved even more away from terminal.

I did not removed vacuum canister to check what happens then.
So i believe i'm affected at rotor phasing. Easy fix for this must be pn 84211 rotor, correct?

If i move total timing, will phasing stay the same or do it move?
Do Rpm changes affect the phasing?
Suggestions what to do next?

Regards
Ultimately you need to have your rotor phasing in the middle of the terminal halfway through your retard curve.

So if you want 40 degrees max at part throttle for cruising and 15 at idle, then your rotor needs be phased in line with the cap terminal, at 27.5 degrees or so on your retard curve, if that makes sense.

May take a few attempts to get right.

Gary
Old 04-21-2012, 01:43 PM

Hi Gaz64,

Yes, i understand that the rotor has to be halfway to terminal, but i'm confused about the phasing thing...how to do that, do i need to do that, adjustable rotor or can i do it at my box curves? Basically i needed to know if my spark were in right place and start to make some curves, or make some adjustments to rotor first and then make some curves. And second thing is what i asked before at this thread, Does it really matter if original vacuum can is in place but not connected on vacuum and is not locked at all?

I did the test what were suggested in here (no curves on the box an see if spark is on leading edge), but i don't really understand if everything is ok and ready to make some curves. I did't lock the vacuum plate yet, do i have to?

I'm newbie when it comes to timing, so that's the reason for these "stupid" questions.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:32 AM

I understand that you guys are frustrated with me and my questions, sorry about that but can you at least tell me do i have rotor phasing and can i fix it pn 84211 rotor if so? And did i do the testing right way?

I have watched the msd rotor phasing video many times, but i don't still understand it fully.

Sorry once more.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:24 AM

there you go gaz 64...explain it.