MSD Tech Support Forums

Go Back   MSD Tech Support Forums > MSD Powersports Forums > Powersports Trouble-Shooting

Powersports Trouble-Shooting Diagnose your powersports ignition

Old 02-22-2012, 07:59 AM

Default PWC Flywheel Plates' Pick-Up Magnets

I am working on a superstock 800 SeaDoo, and setting up a TL system for it. I have a mag plate with magnets that looks pretty old, and unlike other plates I have used, this one has two magnets positioned very closely together, as opposed to the varieties nested in the flywheel, which use one magnet.

Can someone tell me why dual magnets, and if I use a single magnet flywheel hub, will the pickups and therefore the controller "see" them as they would the tandem magnets?

The ignition is a 42352 multichannel controller, I have most experience with 4270 and 4272 units, but I happen to have this one on hand and would like to use it.

I have a couple plates like this at my shop, 550 Kawi and older stuff used a flywheel with 4 magnets, 2 for each jug i presume. That is with Dyna systems of whatever. this is the first MSD specific plate i've seen w/ this type magnet structure.

Thanks,
Wayne
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 800 Mag Plate MSD.jpg (15.3 KB, 6 views)
Old 03-13-2012, 10:58 AM

The picture you attached dose not look like one of our magnets rings or trigger plates. Some of the first MSD watercraft units did need the dual magnet signal in order to operate properly. Once we switched over to the later version of pn 4270, 4271 ad 4272 the magnets were placed 180 degrees from each other. When the new multi channel ignition pn 42351 was released only one magnet was required on the magnet ring. Do not use the dual magnet set up on the Multi channel ignition if your going to use the older ring remove the trailing magnet from the ring.

Thank you
Ray