MSD Tech Support Forums

Go Back   MSD Tech Support Forums > MSD Ignition Forums > Trouble-Shooting

Trouble-Shooting Diagnose your ignition

Old 12-03-2011, 05:02 PM

Default Installation Issues- Timing

Hello everyone,
I brought this topic up over a year ago, but it was never resolved. So I decided to give it another shot:

Some time ago, I purchased an MSD adjustibe ignition timing control PN8680. I eventually matched it up with a 6AL ignition box and an MSD Chevy Pro-Billet Small Diameter V8 Distributor, number 8570. These were installed on my blown 454 T-Bucket.

I eventually had to disconnect the 8680 timing control. The reason is that after the 8680 was properly set up and after the ignition timing was properly set and I started the vehicle, the timing controller worked fine...ONCE. However, after I shut down the engine and restarted it, the timing became retarded somewhat. And, the timing would become even more retarted every time that I restarted the engine! Very strange.

I sent the timing controller back to MSD for a check and they could not find anything wrong with it.

When I remove the timing controller, the ignition timing is fine and remains that way. It does not get retarded with every engine start. Something in the 8680 is causing the spark to become more and more retarded every time I start the engine!!! Please, what is going on???

The 8570 HEI distributor is NOT LOCKED OUT. It is a stock distributor.

My question is: why does the timing controller retard the timing more and more every time I restart the engine? Does the distributor have to be locked out for the timing control to operate properly? I have checked everything many times and also had a professional look at everything.

Thanks for the wiring diagrams, but I've had them for a few years now. The timing control was PROPERLY HOOKED UP.

Can you please have someone answer the questions that I asked? Does the MSD distributor have to be "locked out" for the timing control to work properly?

Why does the timing control cause my ignition timing to become more retarded every time I start the engine?

The wiring diagram provides no answers to these questions. The timing control WAS PROPERLY CONNECTED.

If you are not able to provide the proper guidance, could you please forward the post to the engineers who designed the timing control? Perhaps they can tell me what's going on with it.

Thanks in advance for your help.