MSD Tech Support Forums

Go Back   MSD Tech Support Forums > MSD Powersports Forums > Powersports Trouble-Shooting

Powersports Trouble-Shooting Diagnose your powersports ignition

Old 06-28-2010, 07:20 PM

Default Trigger problems

Hi

I have PN 43161 trigger pickups mounted in my yamaha jetski to fire my pn 42353 ignition.

Recently I started having some problems with the ignition and the ignition led is blinking with the engine running rough. According to the manual this indicates a trigger problem.

How can i test the trigger to make sure it is providing a good signal to the ignition? Can i test the trigger directly to eliminate the wiring harness as an issue?

Thanks!
Old 06-29-2010, 09:56 AM
Tech Support

Hello,
There are a number of things that it could be. The led blinking can indicate no trigger signal or low battery voltage. Battery voltage can be checked by load testing it, a bad battery, low battery voltage and low amperage will cause the ignition to miss. Poor grounds will cause this symptom as well. You can aslo check the trigger inputs by disconnecting the harness to the pickups and shorting the same two color wires together in the connector with the power on to the ignition. The spark plugs would also need to be removed from the cylinder, placed back into the spark plug boots and then laid to ground. If you get a spark at each plug by testing each corresponding trigger wire then pickups would be your culprit. However the chances of both or three pickups ( depending on how many cylinders your Yamaha has) going out at the same time is very rare. If you would like to give me a call I would be happy to go over the troubleshooting with you. You can reach me at 888-258-3835 Thanks, Bret- MSD Powersports
Old 06-30-2010, 07:56 AM

I've checked the battery with my multimeter it reads 12.68V with the unit connected and running. But to be sure I replaced it with a known good spare I have.

The grounds seem good and tight to the battery, and the engine ground to the battery ground reads 0.01 ohms on my multimeter.

When I check the ignition by shorting the trigger input wires together i get a good solid spark from the correct coil.

Also when i connect the triggers to the unit, and turn the engine over by hand (with the sparkplugs removed) I get a spark from each plug at the correct time.

I tried reading the resistance values for the triggers with the magnet triggering them, and not triggering. Does this sound correct?

with no magnet on the trigger, i get infinite resistance. When I have a magnet at the trigger, i get 1000 ohms.

thanks for your help.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:13 AM

buehler? buehler?
anyone?
Old 07-08-2010, 08:36 AM
Tech Support

Although difficult to check pickups with a multimeter, if the value is changing and both pickups give similar readings they are more than likely okay. If you are certain that all connections, especially grounds and battery voltage/amperage is good than I suspect a channel in the ignition is beginning to fail. There is one more thing that could possibly have an issue. Would you happen to have the part number of the coil/coils you are running?
Thanks, Bret-MSD Powersports