MSD Tech Support Forums

MSD Tech Support Forums (http://www.msdignition.com/forum/index.php)
-   Trouble-Shooting (http://www.msdignition.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   MSD Ignition Control troubleshooting Help (http://www.msdignition.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18588)

Cam_AU 10-01-2012 06:17 PM

MSD Ignition Control troubleshooting Help

My MSD issue:

- I bought a MSD ignition control (6AL-2), a new blaster coil, and using my Distributor (has rotor button).

- Just rewired my car with a painless wiring kit.

Wired the Ignition control:

- Heavy red to constant power feed

- Black to body ground

- Orange and black wires to Coil (only ones connected to coil)

- White wire to black wire on Distributor

- The 12v Coil feed is the coil feed that comes with the painless wiring, this goes to 12 ignition control and also to red wire from Distributor.

Issue:

Turn the ignition on, Red light flashes on then off on the ignition control, Crank the engine and no spark is produced and light on ignition control does nothing.

Troubleshooting:

As per manual I touch the white wire to body ground, great it sparks all the way to the spark plug not just at the coil lead. As soon as I reconnect white wire to distributor and crank I get the same problem.

It seems whenever I try to wire up the distributor with the ignition control it wont spark under cranking, this is both at the spark plug and also at the coil.

msdtech1955 10-02-2012 06:46 AM

The 12v Coil feed is the coil feed that comes with the painless wiring, this goes to 12 ignition control and also to red wire from Distributor.

check with a volt meter ( at the thin red wire) for voltage with key on and while cranking .

Cam_AU 10-03-2012 03:12 AM

Thanks for your reply.

Not sure if i am using the multimeter correctly, i have the meter set to 200 under the Volts section, the only other option under volts is 700.

When set to 200 the 12v cable that connects to the distributor shows 27.1 with key on when cranking it drops to 0. The orange wire on the coil stays at 0 when key on and cranking.

Hope this helps?

msdtech1955 10-03-2012 08:20 AM

meter should be on DC and the red probe on the thin red wire (msd box)
and te black probe to ground.

Cam_AU 10-04-2012 01:54 AM

Right, thanks.

Switched to DC and connected it to the 12v feed that goes to the MSD thin red wire (same feed that goes to the distributor).

With Key on it sits at 12.33, When cranking it drops to 0 and at times -0.22

Hope this helps

msdtech1955 10-04-2012 07:00 AM

Quote:

With Key on it sits at 12.33, When cranking it drops to 0 and at times -0.22

Hope this helps
need to find a different 12 volt source...while cranking...

Cam_AU 10-04-2012 07:05 AM

So the voltage shouldnt drop while cranking or what are the acceptable voltage readings that the red wire needs?

bit odd that the coil wire in the painless kit would drop to 0 if it is meant to run a coil.

msdtech1955 10-04-2012 07:24 AM

if it drops to zero while cranking...the unit will never fire.

Cam_AU 10-08-2012 05:44 AM

Thanks.

It seems that the coil wire for some reason drops to 0.33 while cranking. Like you said the MSD wont work with this but it is the wire i need to use.

When i use a jumper wire and connect the coil wire to an ignition on wire on the ignition switch then then the coil wire drops to 6-7v and there is a spark, great! but obviously a jumper wire makes the usual ignition on wiring come on with Accessories (key on).

Is this something a MSD ballast resistor will fix? if so how do they actually wire up a ballast resistor?

Thanks again for your troubleshooting

Gaz64 10-09-2012 03:29 AM

The small red wire to the module needs to have ignition 12v supplied to it while the ignition is in the run position AND WHILE CRANKING.

Like all cars do.

Simple fix really, fix your wiring and/or ignition switch.

Also sounds like you don't have a 4 position switch - OFF, ACC, IGN, START.