PDA

View Full Version : MSD 8973 Start Retard

Tony Garanzuay
03-09-2007, 09:57 AM
Just installed my new 8973 unit and I had to remove the start retard of 10 degrees from the tree in order to start the motor on my TAFC using a Pro-Mag 44. I'm now told that it does not work with a Pro Mag 44 because of its inability to crank enough RPMs. What gives?:angry: Why advertise a function when it cannot be operated on the most common of all applications?

msdtech4
03-12-2007, 07:37 AM
Tony Garanzuay,

It is not recommended to use the start retard with the mag due to the loss of spark energy as rotor phasing is changed at low speed. This can cause issues where the engine will not start because there is no spark. Depending on how quickly the engine is turning over you might be able to get it to light off but even then it is not recommended due a potential no start situation. Due to the amount of spark energy produced you should not even need the start retard, is the engine kicking back when starting? Keep in mind that unit technically will work with a standard MSD box where the start retard will work on the CD ignition.

Thanks,

MSD tech4

Keith Huckabee
08-21-2009, 07:53 AM
We had the same problem. MSD teck says, just don't do it, it doesn't work

msdtech21
08-25-2009, 03:52 PM
Tony Garanzuay,

It is not recommended to use the start retard with the mag due to the loss of spark energy as rotor phasing is changed at low speed. This can cause issues where the engine will not start because there is no spark. Depending on how quickly the engine is turning over you might be able to get it to light off but even then it is not recommended due a potential no start situation. Due to the amount of spark energy produced you should not even need the start retard, is the engine kicking back when starting? Keep in mind that unit technically will work with a standard MSD box where the start retard will work on the CD ignition.

Thanks,

MSD tech4

Keep in mind that this box is being used with an MSD 8 and the start retard function is working in that sense. Cliff notes version-

8973 start retard doesn't with Promag 44.
8973 start retard does work with MSD 8 and crank trigger.

Thanks,
Peter