PDA

View Full Version : Boost timing master

Charrlie_S
07-14-2003, 12:02 PM
Chrysler Slant six engine, stock electronic dist, msd 6a box, auto meter tach. Tach read correctly. Installed the boost timing master with vac advance. Used same pickup wires to BTM,just unplugged from the 6a, and plugged into the BTM. yellow wire of the BTM to the white wire of the 6a. Now the tach reads much higher and has a lot of needle bounce. In both setups the tach is connected to the tach output of the 6a.
Charrlie_S

msdtech1
07-14-2003, 12:50 PM
If you are using the MSD BTM, PN 8962, then the unit needs to be programmed for use on a six cylinder application. On the side of the unit there are two loops of wire color coded Red and Blue that will need to be modified for your engine. On 6 cylinder applications, you will need to clip (cut) the Red loop. This will program the unit for 6 cylinder.

MSD Tech1

Charrlie_S
07-14-2003, 03:19 PM
The wire was cut upon installation

msdtech1
07-14-2003, 05:53 PM
Based on that, it sounds like the unit is programmed correctly. The next thing we need to look at is the vacuum advance function of the unit. As a test, turn the vacuum advance potentiometer all the way to the counter clockwise position. Then unplug the vacuum hose that was plugged into the MSD BTM unit. recheck to see if the condition is improving or has corrected itself. Also, is the tach bouncing at idle or at higher rpms?

MSD Tech1

Charrlie_S
07-15-2003, 12:08 PM
Did as suggested, no improvement. Tach stars bouncing a little above idle, would guess about 1000 rpm. If I continue to slowly raise rpm the tach would rise to about 4000 rpm (it is not really that high) bouncing during this increase, then suddenly drop back to about 2000 rpm. Still continue to raise rpm, and tach jumped to 6000 rpm, and engine started to misfire badly.
Charrlie_S

Charrlie_S
07-16-2003, 11:05 AM
Please, respond.

msdtech2
07-16-2003, 11:50 AM
When connecting the BTM to the MSD 6 Unit, you are now currently using the white wire of the MSD Unit. Take the wire from the tach and tee it into the white and the yellow of the MSD Unit and timing control. This is also the same signal that the tach output has, but may be a little stronger. Please let me know if this worked. Just remember that if you remove the timing control the wire of the tach has to be removed from the white of the MSD Unit, if not it will not start if you leave it on there.
Thanks,
msdtech2

Charrlie_S
07-16-2003, 12:29 PM
Bummer. No help switching to tach wire to the output/ input BTM/6a. :(

msdtech2
07-16-2003, 12:38 PM
Not really, this is done numerous times, we use this method when using more than 2 components on the tachoutput, and they need more references, or basically if the tachoutput goes bad they can still use the white wire as a tach reference. Of course this is only when using the white wire through a timing control.
Thanks,
msdtech2

Charrlie_S
07-16-2003, 03:01 PM
I meant, I tryed doing this. It did not make any difference. Still have the same problem.

msdtech2
07-17-2003, 10:56 AM
Sorry about the misunderstanding, but working on the problem that you are having, to see if we can simulate the same problem, will get back with you soon.
Thanks,
msdtech2

Charrlie_S
07-24-2003, 07:42 AM
OK. I'm back, after being out of state, racing. How about we get back on the problem i'm having and get it solved.
Charrlie_S

msdtech2
07-24-2003, 09:07 AM
If possible, could you send the timing control to us for testing, it sounds that the timing control is causing the problem, and may have to get some updates.
Thanks,
msdtech2

Charrlie_S
07-24-2003, 12:02 PM
Yes, I have felt all along, this was the problem. Can you send me the info I need for the return.
thanks

msdtech2
07-24-2003, 03:16 PM
Send it to the following address,
MSD Att: Repair
12120 Esther Lama Ste. 114
El Paso, TX. 79936
Send a copy of the sales reciept along with a good return address and a phone # in case we need to get in contact with you. Also, please include a copy of this forum, and have them call you before shipping.
Thanks,
msdtech2

Charrlie_S
08-05-2003, 08:49 AM
I have been unable to locate the sales reciept. The BTM was purchased about Dec 2001 from Summit Racing as a Christmas present for me. It is out of warrenty, because of the date of purchase. But it was not installed untill June of this year. Do I still need the sale reciept?

msdtech1
08-05-2003, 09:07 AM
If you do not have your receipt, they will use the manufactured date code that is stamped on the unit in order to determine whether it is in warranty or not.

MSD Tech1