PDA

View Full Version : ind timing question

TurboHooter
09-29-2006, 10:43 AM
Im trying to use the individual timing control. im not sure if the numbers next to the deg value are the sequence numbers or the cyl numbers. right now i assumed that the numbers ( ) are teh sequence and i adjusted the sequence number from teh cylinder i wanted to adjust. just want to make sure of this before i run the car. sorry for the hard explaination. dont really know how to explain it. thanks

click here to see what im talking about.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y151/TurboHooter/misc/msd.jpg

msdtech4
10-03-2006, 08:09 AM
TurboHooter,

In the programming software for the ignition box you actually put your firing order in the unit. When you put the firing order in the unit the numbers on the right side will change to the firing order in your engine. The 1-8 next to the degrees will allow you to look at the numbers above and put the number of degrees you want in the corresponding cylinder. Go into the programming software and under the tree you are looking at there is a tab called SeqUser. When you click on this you will want to change it to match your firing order and then save it. Then as mentioned above you can reference what you need from there to change timing in the particular cylinders.

Thanks,

MSD tech4

Olee Poole
10-04-2006, 09:40 PM
I heard on NOS car this worth ET is this also true for turbo car?

msdtech4
10-10-2006, 10:58 AM
Olee Poole,

It applies to all engines potentially. You have to remember that the engine is only as strong as the weak cylinder. If you can retard the timing on the weak cylinder only potentially you can make more power with all of the others. This is normally something that you find on the dyno and reading the plugs etc. this way you find the weak cylinder or cylinders and fix them accordingly.

thanks,

MSD tech4

TurboHooter
10-11-2006, 03:53 PM
ok just so this is crystal clear. here is the cyl i wnat to retard. then look at the msd graph and see if i have it in there correctly.

cyl1 .0 deg out

cyl2 -.2 deg out

cyl3 -1.0 deg out

cyl4 -.2 deg out

cyl5 .0 deg out

cyl6 -.5 deg out

cyl7 -.1 deg out

cyl8 -.1 deg out

click here to see what i put in my msd program
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y151/TurboHooter/misc/msdindtiming.jpg

thanks very much

Eric David Bru
10-11-2006, 07:00 PM
Turbo Hooter,

What is your firing order?

Thanks

TurboHooter
10-11-2006, 09:24 PM
Turbo Hooter,

What is your firing order?

Thanks13726548

its a 351w sbf

thanks

TurboHooter
10-11-2006, 09:48 PM
I heard on NOS car this worth ET is this also true for turbo car?sorry i forgot to answer you. this is for an nos car. im pretty sure i have it done right...i was using it last year. but then i put a new combo in there and zero'd out the ind timing retards to start from square one. then i couldnt remember how to work the thing. i ran it as i showed above and it seemed to make the plugs look more even. some other issues made it hard to get a good read on the plugs but i will go out this weekend and try it again.

when you get all the cylinders running equal...then you can run it closer to the edge and make more power. as you can see theres one cyl i have to pull out a full degree to get it close to the others (as of now thats an estimate). now once i make it match the others, i will be able to run more timing in the entire engine and hopefully make more power. as of now the cylinder that im pulling the 1 deg out of is exactly where i want it....so therefore the rest of the cylinders are lacking power until you make them even.

Eric David Bru
10-12-2006, 07:36 AM
Turbo Hooter, the way you did this LOOKS right to me, but let an MSD Tech review it to make sure. I would sure hate to tell you wrong and I haven't played with the ICT on my setup yet.

msdtech4
10-12-2006, 07:37 AM
TurboHooter,

That is correct set up as long as the inductive pick up is on the number one wire. Watch the plugs make sure they are even and be careful! As you start getting aggressive with the other cylinders make sure you donít go to far.

Thanks,

MSD tech4

TurboHooter
10-13-2006, 08:09 AM
thanks for the conformation guys.

yeah i am like mr conservative. havent burned a piston in 2 years spraying 350. gotta love this box :-)

oh...knock on wood lol

msdtech4
10-13-2006, 09:15 AM
TurboHooter,

Yeah it is best to knock on wood! If you have any other questions let us know.

Thanks,

MSD tech4