PDA

View Full Version : 8105 coil arcing

R.Brown
09-08-2006, 10:50 AM
Hi,
I have a customers 8105 box in the shop on our ignition tester and the coil terminal is arcing spark over to the edge of the box. Is there something that may have caused this, or just an isolated malfunction? Do you sell a replacement coil for this box, or is my only option sending it in for repair?

thanks,
rb

bill jones
09-11-2006, 12:52 PM
-can we get a technical response to this magneto coil problem?
---------------------------------------------
-Ryan sent me a photo of this deal in action and the spark is arcing right thru the coil wire post to the metal of the points box.
-------------------------------------------
-Looks to me like the design would lend itself to this sort of self destruction by having that metal box so close to the insulater.

msdtech19
09-12-2006, 10:51 AM
Sir,

If you are getting arching from the tower to the case the points box must be sent in to be repaired as the coil tower is bad. The tower has either been hit and cracked or the motor was cranked over with out the coil wire being attached and the coil has carbon tracked down to the case. If it is not cracked and is only carbon tracked you can try cleaning up the tower with some emery cloth or fine sand paper, also check the inside of the boot for carbon tracking and use some dielectric grease on the coil boot when you install the coil wire. If it still continues to do this then the box does have to be shipped to us. You can contact us at 915-857-5200 for the proper return number or you can get the return number on line from our web site as well.

Thanks,

MSD tech4