PDA

View Full Version : New to MSD 7531

Quarter Flash
08-16-2006, 03:20 PM
I am new to this Forum and new to Computer Drag Racing. I am building a 80 Monza from a no floor shell. I bought a Jeg's complete chassis kit with 12 pt roll cage. Coil over drag shocks in the front and rear, Pontiac 9.3 rear w/4.10, spool and MW 35 spline axles. Goodyear 11.5 x 30 drag slicks. Aftermarket Glide w/4600 stall. The engine is a 406 sbc, World Products blk, bowl blended and port matched Dart Pro1 215 heads, JE forged pistons making 10.3 ratio, forged 3.75 steel crank, Comp Cams solid roller (590 in, 596 ex, 254 in, 260 ex, and 110 lobe sep) World Products Motown manifold, Holley race 900 CFM Carb. Two inch into 1 7/8 step headers, and last but not least MSD 7531. I need to figure out this MSD and since it may take me a while I thought I would begin reading and asking questions now. My car will not be done for a few more months. I have already read the manual, all I could find on the internet, and all the posts I could find on this site. So with all that said is it okay if I start asking questions before I get the car started or do you want me to wait until later?:eek:

Bob

Eric David Bru
08-17-2006, 12:11 PM
There is no time like the present...

What class will you be running in?

Quarter Flash
08-17-2006, 02:38 PM
I have built the car to run ten flat at about 134 mph, but all that is armchair. I will answer three questions for you: I have built this car from scratch, every bolt, the engine, trans, rear end and chassis. So my job is to make it go strait and fast. My wife, whom has been involved with racing since childhood is the driver. Third, because of the restrictions on computerized equipment on the lower classes I think SuperPro ET. My wife would prefer heads up racing such as Outlaw etc. Given her inexperience in anything quicker than 12 flat I think brackets for a few years. OKAY My first question: When do I want to retard my timing. It would seem at launch and at the onset of second gear. If I'm going to retard my timing at peak load times is it posible I could increase my total timing by the same amount I reduce on the bottom. My thinking is when I set my total timing @ 36 I am compromising on top for the lack of timeing need during high load times. I told you I did not know a lot about this computer stuff. :D

Bob

Eric David Bru
08-17-2006, 03:02 PM
Sounds cool Bob.

As long as the car doesn't spin off the line or at the gear changes you shouldn't "need" any retard down low.

You will want to put a few degrees of retard in for the upper RPM of high gear to improve your MPH.