PDA

View Full Version : Msd Dis-4 Not Working?

bigdaddygtp
10-15-2003, 11:56 AM
I just received a used msd dis-4 with coil adapters (pn 8870) for my 1999 grand prix gtp and i hooked up all of the wires and with the bypass plug in my car will start (albeit sorta roughly?) then when i hook it all up to the dis-4 box it just cranks and cranks without ever starting...what is the matter?

msdtech1
10-15-2003, 11:11 PM
With the PN 8870's hooked installed and the bypass plug plugged into the harness, the engine should start and run just as it did when nothing was installed. Basically, with the bypass plug in place, everything is reverted back to stock. Also, if you are using a MSD PN 8912 Dual Ignition Adapter, make sure that is removed from the harness before installing the bypass plug. If the engine is not running properly with the bypass plug installed, then recheck all of your wires to make sure you do not have something crossed. Is the DIS-4's Brown wire connected to ground? If it is, remove it from ground and try starting the engine again. You will also need to check to make sure that the S4 dip switch on panel 3 is in the off position. If it is in the ON position then the engine will not start.

MSD Tech1

bigdaddygtp
10-16-2003, 10:16 AM
where do i send my box to to get checked out? and how much will it cost for that?...

msdtech1
10-16-2003, 03:37 PM
In case of malfunction, your MSD component will be repaired free of charges according to the terms of the warranty. When returning MSD components for warranty service, Proof of Purchase must be supplied for warranty verification. After the warranty period has expired, repair service is charged based on a minimum and maximum charge rate. (Contact Customer Service for current rate).
When returning an MSD product for repair, leave all wires at the installed length. Cutting wires close to the unit will void the warranty. Also, include a detailed account of any problems experienced and what components and accessories are installed on the vehicle.
Send the MSD component prepaid to the attention of:

Customer Service Department
Autotronic Controls Corporation
12120 Esther Lama, Dock 5
El Paso, Texas 79936

The repaired unit will be returned as soon as possible after receipt (usually 10 - 14 working days) COD for any charges. For more information on repairs, call our Customer Service Line at (915) 855-7123. Our trained technicians are available from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, mountain time, Monday - Friday.

bigdaddygtp
10-17-2003, 12:17 PM
is there anywhere i can send a picture to show my wiring setup and see if i am hooking it all up correctly?

msdtech1
10-18-2003, 10:31 PM
Yes, you can fax it to 915-857-3344 and mark it attention MSD Customer Service. Be sure to include a fax or phone number so that the tech department can respond to you.

MSD Tech1