PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Shut-off

thejeeper
10-13-2003, 09:55 AM
I have an '83 Jeep CJ that has an AMC 360 with Holley Pro-Jection on it. I recently added the MSD Off-Road P/N 6470 to it. Now the Injectors only pulse fuel for a second when engine is cranking. The Jeep will start, and then stall because the fuel no longer pulses. I can do this over and over with no change. I am not running a tach, but I do have the tach adapter (recommended by sales dept.) The tach signal wire for the Holley Kit is white in color and is normally connected to the tach side of a standard coil with a carbureted engine. Where should I connect this white tach signal wire to the MSD kit for proper operation? I have tried disconnecting the tach adapter but it makes no difference. The MSD unit tests good in the troubleshooting pages of the instruction book. The Injection kit tests good as well according to Holley's troubleshooting guide. The problem definitley lies with the tach signal from the MSD to the Holley Kit. Any suggestions?? I am a very capable tech and work for a Jeep dealer, so please don't hesitate to get complicated if need be!!

msdtech4
10-13-2003, 10:12 AM
thejeeper,

What type of distributor are you using? How are you triggering the MSD box, are you using the white wire or the purple and green of the MSD box. The Holley unit does require the tach adapter but I need to know how your triggering the box in order to recommend the right adapter and how to wire it.

Thanks,

MSD tech4

thejeeper
10-13-2003, 03:13 PM
MSDtech4,

On the '83 Jeep CJ subject: I am using an MSD distributor #8519 for AMC engines. I am using the green/purple wires off the MSD box connected to the distributor. The white wire is not used at this time. The tach adapter I have is #8920, which was recommended by the MSD sales staff. Maybe it is the wrong one?? Other than that, all the remaining connections are made according to the instruction manual. I am currently not using a tachometer, but this should not affect the outcome of the situation.

msdtech4
10-13-2003, 04:39 PM
thejeeper,

The trigger wire of the holley unit (white) needs to be hooked to the purple of the MSD tach adapter. The white of the 8920 goes to the tach output (Grey) of the off-road box. The red of the 8920 goes to ignition power and the black is ground. This should be enough signal to trigger the Holley unit.

Thanks,

MSD tech4

thejeeper
10-14-2003, 06:03 PM
MSDtech4,

Thanks! Your recommendation worked- she's a runner!

Mike

msdtech4
10-15-2003, 10:28 AM
Mike,

Good deal, If you have any other questions etc., let us know.

Thank,s

MSD tech4