PDA

View Full Version : msd6al trouble ?

nstycpe93
07-09-2003, 02:23 PM
i have a 331 stroker the has the blaster 3 coil, msd6al ignition system, msd distributor.
with new motor in i was racing it when it just seems like the ignition is just turned off.
other times it makes the car run bad like it is misfiring. this only happens when it is at
wide open throttle.

i changed plugs, plug wires, cap and rotor. also got a new fuel pump installed.

any help if this is electrical problem.

thanks

ken

msdtech1
07-09-2003, 07:04 PM
Here are a few things you want to check for.

1. Check for loose connections at the heavy gauge Red, heavy gauge Black and small gauge Red wires. With the engine idling, move the wires around to see if the engine quits or momentarily turns on then off. If this occurs, you need to improve your connections.
2. Are the magnetic pickup wires (violet and green) routed near or along side the spark plug wires? If they are move them away from the spark plug wires.
3. Make sure you are not using a solid core spark plug wire. You should be using a suppression/helically wound type wire.

Let us know what you find.

MSD Tech1

TOYBOXJEEP
07-15-2003, 11:19 AM
I have been having a problem with mine also... It's kind of the same... I have a ford 302 with a blower.. I can drive the car for weeks and not have a problem but every once and a while the engine will shut off at Idle... It will not re start till I LET IT SIT FOR A FEW HOURS OR DAYS /OR/ JUST UNPLUG THE MSD6AL AND PLUG THE CARS COMPUTER BACK IN TO THE COIL and it will start right up... I have checked all the wireing and have not found a problem there.. My question is is it my box and why does it only do it every so often

msdtech1
07-17-2003, 08:57 AM
You will need to perform a few tests after the engine quits to determine what is causing the problem.

To test the MSD unit follow the procedure below.
IF TRIGGERING THROUGH THE WHITE WIRE
Disconnect the white wire from the points or amplifier wire.
IF TRIGGERING THROUGH THE VIOLET/GREEN WIRE
Disconnect the two-pin connector with the Violet/Green wires from the distributor.
Disconnect the coil wire from the distributor cap and lay 1/4 from ground, this is where it will spark.
Turn the ignition key to the "ON" position, do not crank.
Take the white wire of the MSD 6 Unit and touch and release from ground, every time you touch and release from ground it will spark at the coil wire.
Take the Violet/Green wire and touch them together and then release them. Every time the Violt/Green wires are shorted together you should get a spark from the coil wire.
If you do not get a spark, make sure there is 12 volts at the small red wire of MSD. Check for 12 volts on the small gauge Red wire with a volt meter. If you have 12 volts on the Red wire, swap the coil with a different coil, it doesn't have to be new, as long as it is a good working coil.
Do the same test, if you get a spark then it was a bad coil, if you still do not get a spark then you know it is a bad MSD unit, but double check that all connections are good and tight.

MSD Tech1

TOYBOXJEEP
07-22-2003, 11:45 AM
It died on me last night and I don't have the msd in the car anymore.... I put the stock coil back on (no good) so I think my problem is in the distributer... I dont feel like fixing it so I ordered a new one MSD 8455 (94-95) MUSTANG...If that fixes it I'll put the box back in ( can't live with out my rev-chip) Thanks for the help so far...

YELOW95

msdtech1
07-22-2003, 02:05 PM
Keep us posted on this.

MSD Tech1

TOYBOXJEEP
07-31-2003, 11:09 AM
Well I think I or should I say we fixed it... I put a new Distributor in it (MSD 8455) and for fun I replaced the wires too... It is running great now. It even fixed a problem I was having with Idle... Strange But cool..

I was glad to go the extra little and use your distributor instead of just replacing my pickup because your produces look good under the hood and stand up to their name...

I have yet to put my 6al back in but don't think it will have a problem now...

THANK YOU FOR HAVING THIS PAGE ..... :) :)

msdtech1
07-31-2003, 04:27 PM
Great news! Glad we could help you out.

MSD Tech1