PDA

View Full Version : Ignition For V12

ktir
10-10-2003, 09:48 AM
What´s the best MSD-Ignition choice for a Rolls Royce Meteor 27 lit. V12 engine in a turbocharged tractorpulling configuration with methanol as fuel. The engine has two sparkplugs/cyl. and is low rev.

msdtech4
10-10-2003, 09:51 AM
ktir,

I need a little more information about the motor. What type of distributor set up is on there, a single 12 cylinder distributor one coil, single 12 with two coils, twin 6 cylinder etc. How much boost are you planning on running?

Thanks,

MSD tech4

ktir
10-13-2003, 04:30 AM
Thank´s for Your reply !

Some further info on my engine.
Nothing of the standard ignition, two separate singlecoil ignitions, is going to be used in the new configuration due to heavy modifications. A distributor (2 ?) will have to be purchased or manufactured to fit the new enginelayout. The boostpressure will not be more than max 25 psi.

msdtech4
10-13-2003, 12:03 PM
ktir,

Most of the V-12 applications are using the MSD 8 ignition box. The part number on this would be 7800. The ignition coil I would recommend would be the Pro-Power HVCII part number 8261. Keep in mind that you will require two of each numbers, one per 6 cylinders unless the distributor is set up as a single coil 12 cylinder application. We unfortunately do not offer a distributor for this application. You might try Dunn Services at 940-240-1603 they manufacture/fabricate one off applications.

Thanks,

MSD tech4

ktir
11-20-2003, 01:39 PM
MSD Tech,

I read in the News 2004 section that MSD 8 Dual Coil will be back next year. Could this be an even better solution for my V-12 ignition ? When is it available ? I also need some kind of rev.limiter and maybe a retard unit and something to trigger the ignition (cranktrigger ?) . Which parts should I use ?

Further more, are there any MSD dealers in Sweden,where I live, or in any of the other European countries where I can buy these recomended items.

Thank´s in advance
Ktir

msdtech4
11-20-2003, 02:40 PM
ktir,

If the two distributor are independent of each other then the dual ended 8 will not work. This is designed for single distributor dual coil set ups. If you can convert to a single 12 cylinder distributor and the two coils then the 7802 will be a good choice. There are jobs going through right now which will hopefully be done sometime early to mid next month. Real Steel in England can get these for you or you can have it exported by any of the dealers listed on our web page.

Thanks,

MSD tech4