PDA

View Full Version : Need Help

ricardofeliu
10-10-2003, 01:45 AM
what would I need to install a dis-2 on a Daewoo Lanos, it's a 1.6 - 16 Valve 4 cylinder.
I've heard everything from needing to change the coils, and buy two extra pairs of adapters, to needing to install two dis-2 because of the intelligent ignition and the waste spark.
Any advise or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ricardo

msdtech2
10-10-2003, 10:27 AM
Unfortunately an MSD unit cannot be installed on this type of vehicle, the reason is that it has a built in coil driver. If you try to install the MSD unit it will damage the coil driver and will not start on the stock ignition. The MSD unit puts 460 volts to the primary side of the coil and the coil driver is not capable of handling this type of voltage.
Thanks,
msdtech2

ricardofeliu
10-11-2003, 02:57 PM
but if I replace the factory coils for a pair of GM 2-Tower Coil Pack. It would just take the signal from the ECU to the DIS-2 and I would replace everything after that with aftermarket components (wires, spark plugs, etc), would it work? and what other components would I need?
I would buy everything else I'm going to need, I just need to be sure it's going to work.

Thanks for the help,
Ricardo

msdtech2
10-13-2003, 09:33 AM
These types of coils are used for multiple reasons; it sends a signal back to the ECU to let it know that it is firing. If no signal you will get a "check engine" light. It can also be used for a tach signal or RPM signal for the ECU and can also be used for injection signal. This is why the built in driver has to remain in place.
Thanks,
msdtech2

ricardofeliu
10-26-2003, 08:30 PM
I already have a haltech fuel management system installed, so the fuel injection is working independent from the ECU and because of that the check engine light is already on. The thing is that I already purchased a brand new DIS-2 and haven't even taken it out of the box and really would like to be able to use it.

msdtech2
10-30-2003, 11:50 AM
Since you are using the Haltech, then this changes everything. The Haltech will have to be working on some waste spark coils, like the PN 8224 GM Coils or the PN 8239 Mitsubishi Coil. Once you have it working on these then you will be able to adapt the MSD Dis-2 to the Haltech. Unfortunately we do not have any diagrams from Haltech in order to install the MSD unit.
Thanks,
msdtech2

ricardofeliu
10-30-2003, 04:48 PM
sorry I ask so many questions, it's just that I want to be really sure, the haltech system is a fuel only management system so the DIS-2 will still be receving the trigger signals and the 12V + from the factory ECU. the haltech's trigger is connected to the tach output of the factory ECU right now. when I install the DIS-2 I will connect the factory tach and the trigger for the haltech to the tach output on the DIS-2. will the factory ECU keep sending a signal to the coils (DIS-2) after I replace the factory coils and by that eliminate the factory coil driver?

just making sure, and thankyou for your help

msdtech2
10-31-2003, 09:23 AM
Wow, you are really making it difficult, hahaha. Ok, if the Haltech is just a fuel management and the factory coils and the factory ECU are still in operation, then the Dis-2 will not be able to work, because of the internal transistors on the coils. If you had the engine management system where the Haltech controls the fuel and coils then, you could of used the Dis-2. Where the Haltech will trigger the MSD unit and the MSD Unit will just provide stronger spark energy to the coils. Sorry about all the mix up, but the only way is to eliminate the factory ECU as well as the transistor/coils. If you were to take the coils off, then the factory ECU will not provide the proper signal to trigger the MSD alone, this is why the transistor is there.
Sorry,
Thanks,
msdtech2