PDA

View Full Version : Ignition Choices

39fordrod
10-09-2003, 02:12 PM
I am running a 283 Chev 10:1 Heads 350 Horse cam dual plane manifold 4bbl ,headers in a street rod. The ignition is the stock distributor with points. I would like to upgrade to something with hotter spark. Would I get more bang for the buck with a msd 6 control box and use my stock distributor or replace the distributor with the Pro Billet Model without the msd control box.

msdtech4
10-09-2003, 03:58 PM
39fordrod
The most spark energy will be the box with the stock point distributor. The box will take the load off of the points so they will last much longer since there is no current going across them. They will still need to be maintained, periodically check the spring tension on them, and although dwell is handled by the box, make sure the gap is ok. The distributor will give you the ability to tailor a timing curve to suite the engine, a larger diameter shaft for a more accurate and stable timing mark. The magnetic pick up is simple in design, very reliable and durable so maintenance to the distributor is nothing more then the cap and rotor. You can add the box and if you chose to, add the distributor down the road.

Thanks,

MSD tech4