PDA

View Full Version : 1981 Corvette Question

me_crazy
10-06-2003, 03:37 PM
I am removing the stock computer-controlled carburetor and distributor from my 1981 Corvette. It has an HEI distributor with an in-cap coil. That is about the extent of my knowledge with distributors. I have purchased an Edelbrock 1406 for the carb. But, I do not know what all I need to replace the distributor.

Can someone give me suggestions on what model distributor to use.... and on if I just need the distributor or do I need additional components (coil, etc.). Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

msdtech4
10-08-2003, 04:53 PM
Me_Crazy,

If you are looking for a simple but yet effective set up I would recommend the 8365 MSD Pro-Billet GM HEI distributor. The mechanical advance is fully adjustable so you can adjust the curve to suit the engines needs. The coil is built in the cap like the factory one so installation is a simple plug in, hook up your power wire and tach wire. This also has vacuum advance built in the distributor which will help fuel mileage. This distributor will produce approximately 50% more spark energy compared to the stock HEI which will help produce a more efficient fuel burn. This will come with everything you need to drop it in and go.

Thanks,

MSD tech4

me_crazy
10-08-2003, 05:12 PM
"Simple" is what I am looking for!! Thank you very much for your help!!