PDA

View Full Version : Msd Pulse Ignition For Hd-questions

Harleyford
10-06-2003, 10:42 AM
1. Does the Pulse ignition electronic advance have dwell control that allows the use of Dyna coil #DS6-4?

2. What 'Ohm' range coils are recommened for use with the Pulse ignition?

3. Is the Pulse 'Brain" box waterproof?

msdtech1
10-08-2003, 01:40 PM
1. Coil Recommendation for the Harley Pulse Ignition: Output voltage 30KV, Primary resistance 0.2 Ohms, Secondary Resistance 70:1.
2. Ohm range recommendation should be no higher than 1 ohm. Refer to question one under coil recommendation. The primary resistance should be .2 ohms. Anything lower than .2 ohms is fine as well.
3. The Pulse Ignition is a waterproof unit, but we still recommend that you mount the ignition in a protective environment.
Thanks,
msdtech1

Harleyford
10-10-2003, 06:06 AM
Thanks for the reply but...... Now I'm more confused.
In my search for electronic ignitions, all recommended coils have been either 3 or 5 ohm coils, generally 3 ohms for race and 5 ohms for street. Could you explain further so I might understand?
BTW... What about dwell control?

msdtech1
10-10-2003, 11:01 AM
3 and 5 ohm coils are generally used for stock inductive ignition systems, The pulse ignition system is a CDI ignition system, which requires a low ohm coil such as 0.2 ohms.

The difference between Inductive and CDI.

CDI Ignitions: This is the current, or amperes, required to operate the MSD ignition. This is shown with rpm of the engine because more current is required as rpm increases.

Inductive Ignitions: The current requirement is stated as the maximum current that is sent to the coil. It is listed as a measurement of how much energy is stored in the coil just before it fires.

There is no dwell control on the pulse ignition.
Thank you,
msdtech 1