PDA

View Full Version : Msd 6/7al With Lucas Opus

gary_tholl
10-05-2003, 10:04 PM
Hello,

I am wondering if the MSD 6 or 7 AL modules can be triggered by a Lucas OPUS pick up? The OPUS is a variable reluctance system. It was used on Formula Atlantic cars in the early '80s.

If these modules can't be triggered by an OPUS pick up, does MSD have a unit that can be?

Thanks,
Gary

msdtech2
10-07-2003, 10:53 AM
If this is a Hall Effect Pick up, then you can use the white wire of the MSD Unit. The white wire is an input that can be triggered through a point or amplified style pick up, such as a hall effect. The other method is a magnetic pick up.
Thanks,
msdtech2

gary_tholl
10-07-2003, 11:31 AM
:( Nope, it's not magnetic or Hall effect. As far as I can tell, it requires a frequency signal of 470kHz to be sent to the pick-up, as the rotating ferrite (iron) rod would go by the pick-up, it would induce the signal into another winding and then back to the 'box' which tells it to 'spark' the coil.

It's called variable reluctance, because the rotating ferrite rod changes the reluctance that the pick-up windings see as it goes by.

So, is there an MSD box that can use this pick-up?

Thanks,
Gary

msdtech4
10-08-2003, 12:34 PM
Gary,
Unfortunately the Lucas Opus will not trigger the MSD box directly. The complete system must be in place and functioning in order for this to function. If the original amplifier is bad you would have to convert the distributor to an actual magnetic pick up of one of the conversion kits on the market.

Thanks,
MSD tech4

gary_tholl
10-09-2003, 11:58 AM
Thanks for the help.

So if I have the original Lucas amp box, it can be used to drive the MSD box?

Or I get a hall effect/magnetic pickup and use the MSD box.

Interesting. Thanks again.

Gary

msdtech4
10-09-2003, 12:30 PM
Gary,

That is correct. Which ever is easier for you.

Thanks,

MSD tech4