PDA

View Full Version : Trouble-shooting

cbrjc24
10-04-2003, 07:22 PM
I have an 83 Bronco with an MSD 6Al box and an adjustable timing control. When the vehicle runs for about twenty minutes it shuts off and will not restart until cooling off. I have also been through 3 blaster 2 coils. They simply burn up when driving down the road. When tested the coils are open on the secondary side. I have msd wires, cap, rotor, motorcraft plugs, and a stock motorcraft disrtibutor with elctronic pickup. I switched to a factory Ford TFI e core style coil and this has seemed to stop the coil killing problem. I cannot seem to chase down the intermittant shut down though. It happens every time after about twenty minutes of run time, idle or cruising down the road. Any ideas?

msdtech1
10-07-2003, 11:35 PM
Lets try to narrow down the problem. First, when it quits, check the small gauge Red wire of the MSD Ignition and the Adjustable Timing Control to see if it has 12 volts on it with the key in the "ON" position. Next, what type of distributor are you using? If it is a magnetic pickup distributor, then you need to check the distributor pickups resistance when the engine dies. With and ohm meter across the two wires from the magnetic pickup you should read 400-1200 ohms of resistance. Finally, if both of the above check out ok then disconnect the Adjustable Timing Control and run just the MSD. These tests will narrow the search down quite a bit.

MSD Tech1