PDA

View Full Version : Re-advancing Ignition After Peak Torque

Nuts
10-02-2003, 12:18 PM
Hi, I have a turbo charged 4cyl engine running an MSD 6BTM pn 6462.

I'd like to re-advance the timing once a certain rpm is met (i.e. after peak torque) whilst still keeping the BTM's control of retard rate under boost.

From looking at the website, the Vari-curve Timing Controller, Pn 8983 looks like it will do the job, but I'm unsure how it will interact with the BTM and it's control of the timing.

Would this work with my MSD 6BTM?

Or

Is there another MSD unit suitable for this that I can use in conjunction with my MSD 6 BTM to re-advance the ignition after peak torque?

Thanks for any help!

msdtech2
10-03-2003, 03:21 PM
The unit that will allow you to advance timing and retard as many times as you would like and in .1 increments with 100 RPM is the PN 8977 Multi Function Controller w/Boost Retard. This unit will also give you a built in 3 Step, Start Retard, Individual Cylinder Timing, Step Retards, and much more. If you would like looking at the software you can download it from our MSD Website.
Thanks,
msdtech2

Nuts
10-06-2003, 05:36 AM
Thanks for the reply, that's excellent! :)

Are you saying the vari-curve controller wouldn't work with the MSD 6BTM then? i.e. The BTM still being used to add retard with boost and the vari-curve being used to add a bit more retard around peak torque (adding onto what the BTM is retarding). - or to advance the ignition after peak torque (removing a bit of the BTM's retard).

I'd obvisouly prefer the Multi Function Controller w/Boost Retard option, but it offers far more features than I'm going to need. The vari-cuve is about half the price with only the features I want (by the looks of it).

msdtech2
10-07-2003, 08:59 AM
Yes the vari curve will work with the 6BTM, but you are still going to have to get the proper RPM chips and retard chips, of when you want to start advancing. You will also have more pieces to mount verses only 1 unit. The good thing about the Multi Function, you will always have any feature at your disposal whenever you need it without having to buy another piece.
Thanks,
msdtech2

Nuts
10-07-2003, 02:23 PM
Thanks for the reply that's extremely helpful!

I'll most probably do as you say and go with the multi-function, it's always nice to over-engineer! :)

msdtech1
10-07-2003, 11:11 PM
Your welcome.