PDA

View Full Version : Loss Of Power/gas Mileage

iceman2003
10-01-2003, 10:55 AM
I am running a 1990 Honda CRX HF 1.5ltr. I installed MSD 6420 ignition, Blaster coil 8207, 8290 cap, and approved Accel wires. I couldn't believe the difference it had made. However, recently I have been noticing a loss of overall performance. It was strange but about 2-3 days before this, the idle would fluctuate between 800-1400 RPM's in steady succession but now runs very smooth. The gas mileage has sunk down to about 17-21 mpg. way down from it's usual 30-35 mpg. It runs very rich as well. I was told that I may have needed to advance timing just slightly to compensate for new ignition and exhaust system. Is this true? What would the recomendation for the new setting be? Now I have checked the 02 sensor, gaps in the splitfire plugs etc.. Any ideas?

msdtech2
10-02-2003, 01:30 PM
It is not necessary to alter the timing on a stock application, although this could depend on the engine and the type of modifications done to the engine, such as intake exhaust. I would recommend checking the plugs to see if they are not worn out, the MSD Unit can put more wear and tear on the secondary ignition. This is why we recommend using a standard plug. Make sure all boots and terminals are properly snap on the cap as well as the plugs.
Thanks,
msdtech2