PDA

View Full Version : Msd 6t "popping" Sound

crucible
09-30-2003, 08:07 PM
Hello, I have a couple month old MSD 6T installed on my 83 Landcruiser. It was recently developed a distinct "popping" sound that starts when the engine starts, and varies along with the revving of the engine. (This is heard in the passenger compartment, and is not unlike an electrical motor hooked up to a speaker....or something similar).

The vehicle does start and run (though it may be my imagination, it seems like it's struggling a bit lately so...?)

Since I could hear it fairly clearly on the inside, I assumed it was coming from one of the older computers under the dash, and waited until today to troubleshoot (since everything else seemed fine). While doing so, I popped the hood today while the engine was running and sure enough, the popping is coming from the 6T box itself rather than anything else (both hearing and feeling...the vibration can be felt quite clearly).

What can be wrong; is there anything else I can do to troubleshoot and where do I go from here?

Chris Williams
MSD 6T and tach adapter

msdtech1
09-30-2003, 11:58 PM
Where do you have the MSD heavy Black wire grounded to?

crucible
10-01-2003, 05:42 PM
Sorry it took so long to reply.

It's grounded to the main vehicle ground from the battery/crossmember/frame-all seems to be good grounds.

(I forgot to add I have a Blaster high vibration coil in it as well).

Regards,

Chris Williams

crucible
10-02-2003, 01:38 PM
In absence of a response here, I phoned this in today to the tech support line and was told that this is normal!?!? There is no possible way this is normal-this is a significant amount of popping from the unit itself that is heard (and felt) well over and above the engine and road noise-and this is a noisy engine-in the passenger compartment. This is not electrical ffedback into the speakers or something; it's directly from the unit itself and is felt. (Think about the fan on high in your car-that's how noisy it is over other ambient noise.)

This noise was not present for the previous two months the unit was in, and only recently begun.

I do not believe it's listed anywhere that this amount of noise is normal; it surely does not state as much in any literature. Phone tech support apparently thinks it is no matter who much I tried how much I tried to explain just how significant the noise is, almost making feel like I'm being unreasonable that I can hear this significantly over my noisy-as-a-worn-out-schoolbus Landcruiser sounds, where vehicle noise is a part of the charm and comes with the terrority.

This is my first experience with MSD and I've spend a fair amount of moeny doing so; I would like some assistance other than it's "normal" for something that clearly cannot be.

Chris Williams

msdtech4
10-08-2003, 03:32 PM
Chris,

There is a transformer inside of the ignition box that will make some noise. It is normally not loud enough to hear above normal engine operation, even on a stock vehicle with no modifications that would make the engine louder. The transformer is surrounded by laminations which is coated by a "varnish" type coating which is then coated to make it water resistant. If the "varnish" on the laminations cracks and they separate, the transformer will buzz, hum or click. This does not effect the function or operation of the unit in anyway. If the noise is loud enough to be bothersome we can change the transformer out, recoat everything and send the unit back to you. Send the unit to:
MSD Ignition Attention Repair Department
12120 Esther Lama Dr Dock 5
El Paso, Tx 79936
Include a receipt for the unit a little note explaining the problem, have a good return address and phone number on the unit and we will repair the unit under warranty and ship it back UPS ground no charge.

Thanks,

MSD tech4