PDA

View Full Version : Msd7al

Daryl
09-30-2003, 05:54 PM
I have 7al,blaster 2 msd dist. sometimes its hard to start . sometimes after i make a pass it dies and wont start back. then it will start. i did the spark test and it gets spark checked wires and all seam fine. Took ohm meter with power off and touch positive coil and negative coil at box and it got a signal like you was touching each end of a wire. help want to go racing this weekend. ps it seams to run fine when it runs and their is no pattern to the stalls cold or hot thanks daryl

msdtech1
09-30-2003, 11:01 PM
Have you checked the MSD small Red wire during cranking to see what voltage you have. Also, do you have a good ground from the engine block to the chassis of the vehicle? Does the engine crank at a fairly good speed when you have trouble strating the engine?

MSD Tech1

Daryl
10-01-2003, 05:38 AM
I have not checked it other than iknow its getting fire but did not have a way to check voltage amount.
It always turns over fine. The first time it did it we unplugged and repluged the dist connector and it started,
one time we messed around in the car and it started. Last night i did your spark test and after that it started.
so far as of now it still starts but haven't done anything to fix it. thanks Daryl

Daryl
10-01-2003, 07:35 PM
I now have tested the red wire and it had 11.75 volts. The car is running now , but who knows for how long. anybody out their any ideas
later Daryl

msdtech2
10-02-2003, 02:55 PM
If it dies again do the spark test to see if there is spark, if you do have spark check the distributor, it should have a reading of 400-1300 Ohms of resistance, if it has no reading or open then this would indicate a bad pick up, but the ohmmeter has to be set on 2000 ohms or higher scale.
Thanks,
msdtech2

Daryl
10-07-2003, 05:08 PM
Well I thought the coil wire was bad and replaced it with a new one still wouldn't start . I tried the spark test again and it didn't work twice then it worked so I hooked the wires back together and it started. Daryl

msdtech1
10-07-2003, 10:42 PM
Check for a bad connection at the connector. Look real close at the pins in the connector to make sure that the female pin is not damaged and is making good contact with the male side of the connector.

MSD Tech1

Daryl
10-09-2003, 07:02 PM
I changed wire from box to dist., didn't fix it. did spark test, didn't spark. changed coil, didn't fix it. so now is it the box?
Daryl

msdtech4
10-10-2003, 09:17 AM
Daryl,

There could be an intermittent point in the box. If all of the wiring checks out, crimps are good etc., shoot the unit to us to be checked out. Send it to:
MSD Ignition Attention Repair
12120 Ester Lama Dr Dock 5
El Paso, TX 79936
Include a brief note explaining what is wrong, make sure you say it is intermittent, have a good return address and daytime phone number. One other thing, with the motor running 11.75 is low in a system that should have no resisters. If there is a charging system on the car, it should be 12.5 or better.
Thanks,

MSD tech4