PDA

View Full Version : Ford Tfi Module

gtofmycld
09-29-2003, 09:50 PM
i'm looking at a new distributor for my 1988 mustang 347 stroker. i noticed when comparing MSD with brand-A that brand-A had two different applications. one for manual trans and one for automatic trans. is this because of the TFI module? is the MSD distributor compatible with either trans.?

i am still driving the car until the engine is ready. the TFI module in the car started to fail intermitently. i went to the local parts store and they asked about the type of transmission. because i am so close to installing the new engine i went to the junk yard and found a module from the same year and engine type 5.0 HO. the two differences are it came out of a lincon with an automatic trans. mine is manual. i dont notice any difference. could i do any damage to the ECU?

msdtech2
10-03-2003, 11:35 AM
The reason there is 2 modules, one for manual and automatic is because the manual was for a lower cranking speed for it to start, this way you would be able to push start the vehicle. The automatic has a higher cranking speed, since an automatic cannot be push started. The one that we offer is for the manual, since it would benefit for both applications.
Thanks,
msdtech2