PDA

View Full Version : 93 Toyota Mr2 5sfe

Tylerfishsmith
09-29-2003, 11:15 AM
Was wondering if anyone knows which ignition to use on the 1993 Toyota 5SFE 2.2. I am turbocharging this engine and am running into a wall with regards to the ignition. The coil is under the distributor cap. There are only four wires coming from the cap to plugs. No center coil wire like most all other caps. Which ignition should I use and how can I modify this cap to work?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me.

Tyler

msdtech2
10-03-2003, 12:17 PM
It seems that you have a 95-style distributor from the 5SFE motor with internal coil. You will be able to use the PN 6462 6BTM w/Boost Timing Master to retard timing under boost pressure to keep the engine from detonation under full boost. The install, you are going to have to go into the coil inside the distributor and do the interface at the coil positive and negative. We have not done a modification to go to an external on this type of cap, but you will be able to install the MSD unit and use the internal coil.
Thanks,
msdtech2

Tylerfishsmith
10-06-2003, 06:48 AM
Thanks for the reply. I will not have to worry about timing control as I have a complete Autronic smc stand alone unit installed on engine. I would like a little more detail on how exactly to hook up the msd ignition to this though if you can help. I was told to drill a hole in center of cap and add msd part #8803 tower adapter. Is this correct? and disconnect factory coil wires. You stated to hook up under cap. Please let me know.

Thanks again...Tyler

msdtech2
10-07-2003, 12:28 PM
The PN 8803 is the correct adapter tower, but I would suggest trying it on an old style cap to make sure that this tower will work. Once modified you will disconnect the wires that go to the coil, there will be a positive and a negative. Starting at the positive, you will connect the wire to the small red of the MSD Unit. Then take the negative wire and connect to the white wire of the MSD Unit. Once these 4 wires are connected you should have no more wires on the OE Coil. This is where you will remove the OE Coil and run the wires outside the cap, by drilling a hole on the cap. Once the cap is installed with the wires coming out, you will connect the orange of the MSD to the new coil positive and the small black of the MSD to coil negative. The only wires left will be the heavy red and black, which go to the battery. Being that it is a Toyota w/fuel injection, you may require the PN 8910EIS Adapter in order to get the proper injector signal. Although being that you have an aftermarket engine management system you may not need it.
Thanks,
msdtech2

Tylerfishsmith
10-08-2003, 06:49 AM
I cannot remove the OE coil as it is molded w/rubber gasket to form fit the bottom of cap and seal out dirt etc. By disconnecting wires from it I am disarming, will there be any harm in leaving it in the original location?

Thanks again...Tyler

msdtech2
10-08-2003, 03:33 PM
Is it possible to send some pics of the distributor, just to take a look at it. If you leave the coil inside, chances are is that the terminal will contact the internal coil and will arc to it and the tower and could create problems. This is why it is recommended to remove the internal coil.
Thanks
msdtech2

Tylerfishsmith
10-09-2003, 07:03 AM
Yes, I can take some pics this weekend and send to you. Where shall I send them? Also, I was thinking about pulling out the bottom pickup from the cap. This is the one that picks up the coil. If I get rid of that and maybe cover the coil contact I may be OK? The cap has a center exit contact inside also, this lines up with the rotor. So, just so you can visualize until I can get a pic, The coil under cap has contact at bottom of coil, two screws with wires coming out the top...+ and - that come from the trigger that I no longer need with the standalone system. This contact lines up with small button,with small spring pushing out on it inside bottom of cap. This sends fire up strip I imagine that is inside cap to center button that lines up with rotor button. Cap has only four wires coming out of it to spark plugs. The coil is shaped like the bottom of the cap with a rubber gasket on the outer edge to seal everything up.

I will take some pics and send to you if you can provide an address to send to.

Thanks again...Tyler

msdtech2
10-10-2003, 10:39 AM
You can PM the pics or just post them here, it really doesn't matter.
Thanks,
msdtech2

Tylerfishsmith
10-21-2003, 04:33 PM
I have some pics of the coil/cap for this weird application, but I can not seem to figure out how to post them here. Am a little computer illiterate in my old age. Please help me out here and I can get some pics to you.

Thanks again...Tyler :(

Tylerfishsmith
11-14-2003, 01:51 PM
Can someone give me an email that I can send the pics to?

Tyler

msdtech2
11-14-2003, 02:27 PM
I will send you a PM, so you can get me those pics.
Thanks,
msdtech2

Tylerfishsmith
11-18-2003, 02:40 PM
OK...thanks

Tyler :)

msdtech2
11-19-2003, 02:00 PM
No problem.
msdtech2

Tylerfishsmith
11-26-2003, 08:43 AM
Have not heard back from you yet....am still confused.

Thanks...Tyler

msdtech2
11-26-2003, 09:14 AM
I still haven't recieved your pics, when did you send them?
msdtech2

Tylerfishsmith
12-02-2003, 06:46 AM
I do not know where to send them?

Tyler

msdtech2
12-02-2003, 11:55 AM
I will PM my email address.
msdtech2

Tylerfishsmith
12-10-2003, 07:25 AM
Did you have a chance to look at the pics?

Thanks...Tyler

msdtech2
12-17-2003, 03:36 PM
No still waiting for the pics.
msdtech2

Tylerfishsmith
12-28-2003, 10:24 AM
Have you looked at the pics yet?

msdtech2
12-31-2003, 12:48 PM
Yes, I received them, you will be able to do the install of the MSD Unit, but the tower you will have to try it on a spare cap, and the coil will have to be modified or basically ruin the coil in order to fit the tower.
Thanks,
msdtech2