PDA

View Full Version : Engine Won't Fire

sdubois21
09-28-2003, 07:19 AM
I have a 63 Tbird with a 390 FE. Due to Ford distributer blues I installed an MSD 6A, Pro-Billet Distributer (8594), and 8mm Heli-Core wires. I used an Accel Super Stock coil I purchased a few weeks before the ignition upgrade. My car has only tried to start twice, otherwise the engine won't fire. It was running prior to install, this is what I've done so far.

Ran a new ignition wire due to lack of voltage on the exsisting, it tests out at 12 volts.
Connected the heavy red wire to the possitive and the heavy black wire to the negative battery posts.
Tested the voltage on the heavy red, tests at 12v.
Verified orange to possitive and black to negative on the coil, successfully completed the coil wire test.
Checked the magnetic pickup resistance. (Tested at 580)
Double checked all voltage, coil spark, and connections.
Checked and rulled out fuel system.

I did notice the first time I powered up the 6A device there was a buzz comming from the box like it was charging but after a few times cranking the engine no sound is comming from the box. The white cable is not in use and wrapped up.

This is getting to be a very flustrating first time use of a MSD product. In the past I've used Mallory with never having a problem but switched to MSD from great recommendations from everyone I asked. I would love to be one of those people. What am I overlooking or should check next?

msdtech1
09-28-2003, 10:48 PM
Here are a few things that you can look for right away. First, did you check the voltage on the small gauge MSD Red wire during cranking to make sure that it had voltage in the crank position? Where do you have the Violet/Green Magnetic Pickup harness run? Is it near the spark plug wires or running parallel to either the coil wire or spark plug wires? What does the engine do when you try starting it? Does it try to start, backfire, or just sound like there is no spark occurring?

MSD Tech1