PDA

View Full Version : Ready-To-Run 351W Dizzy

74bronc
07-07-2003, 03:03 PM
I am looking at getting the 8354 ready-to-run billet dizzy for my 74 Bronco w/351W. My question is what real advantage will I get by upgrading to this distributor over the Duraspark setup that is currently in it, other than it looks really cool? I am mainly concerned w/reliability issues when I am 50 miles in the middle of nowhere. Also, are the modules ridiculously priced like the mallory unilite modules. Carrying a spare module would be an option if they aren't outrageously priced. thanks for any input you guys can give me.

msdtech2
07-08-2003, 02:21 PM
The advantage of using the 8354 over the Duraspark is that the MSD distributor will allow you to custom taylor a mechanical timing curve to your engine, by changing springs and bushing. It is more durable with a stronger shaft, sealed bearing and inner seal. It will produce a stronger and longer RPM range output. The magentic pick up is the same as the Duraspark except it doesn't have the ground. Unfortunately the internal module could not be replaced as easy, and it is not available separately, unless buy directly through MSD. Although we do have very few returns due to failed modules.
Thanks,
msdtech2

74bronc
07-08-2003, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by msdtech2@Jul 8 2003, 01:21 PM
The advantage of using the 8354 over the Duraspark is that the MSD distributor will allow you to custom taylor a mechanical timing curve to your engine, by changing springs and bushing. It is more durable with a stronger shaft, sealed bearing and inner seal. It will produce a stronger and longer RPM range output. The magentic pick up is the same as the Duraspark except it doesn't have the ground. Unfortunately the internal module could not be replaced as easy, and it is not available separately, unless buy directly through MSD. Although we do have very few returns due to failed modules.
Thanks,
msdtech2
Thanks. I guess I can always just throw the old Duraspark in the box and carry it along on the trail, for backup. I know MSD stuff is well-made and reliable, but it doesn't hurt to be prepared when you are in the middle of BFE!

Thanks again. I will order one in the next few weeks.

msdtech2
07-09-2003, 09:02 AM
No problem!
Thanks for posting.
msdtech2