PDA

View Full Version : Which Ignition For My Honda?

2lc5
09-27-2003, 10:43 PM
My block has been decked and my head milled(12:1 CR)...This effectively retards my cam and ignition timing...
I slotted my distributor and advanced my intake cam 4 degrees and can still only achieve a maximum base timing of 5 degrees BTDC...I should be at 16 degrees BTDC...

I am wondering if your adj. timing control module will allow me to advance my base timing to where I need it...
It says you have to use it with an MSD ignition also...
I would like something that is small, powerful, and have launching and over-rev rev limiters...
Seems my only choices are the 6AL and the SCI...In laymans terms, what are the differences and most importantly, Will the adj. timing control module (P/N 8680) let me reach the base timing I need?

Thanks for the help....NT

msdtech1
09-28-2003, 09:54 PM
We cannot advance you base timing with any of the MSD Timing Controls. The only way that you are going to be able to do that is to either adjust the base timing with the distributor base, or move that magnetic pickup inside the distributor.

MSD Tech1

2lc5
09-29-2003, 08:17 PM
Thanks for the reply...
So what does the adjustable timing control do?
Only retard timing?
I was under the assumption that it gave you a 15 degree window...
Can I use it to advance timing off idle?

And what are the main differences between the 6AL and the SCI?
I want something that has a launch rev control and an over rev rev limiter...
Do both of these have this feature or is it something I have to add to the ignition box?

msdtech1
09-29-2003, 10:38 PM
The Adjustable Timing Control reatrds the timing from wherever you have the mechanical timing set at. If you want 7.5 degrees of advance and 7.5 degrees of retard you would have to advance your mechanical timing by 7.5 degrees. As for the recommended ignition, I would suggest the MSD Digital 6 because it has a Two Step feature that will allow you to set a low rpm launch limit and also a high rpm over rev limit. It also includes one stage of retard that can be used with nitrous. The MSD 6AL and the SCI-L units only have one rpm limit and would require the MSD Two Step Module Selector to be added to get what you are looking for.

MSD Tech1