PDA

View Full Version : Coil Installation

74bronc
07-07-2003, 03:20 PM
I have an MSD blaster canister coil and I have recently been told that mounting it horizontally will add to its quick demise. Are you required to mount this coil vertically to get the longest life out of it? Is it OK for it to be mounted directly to the engine (heat concerns)?

Gracias

msdtech2
07-08-2003, 04:02 PM
The MSD Blaster Coils are oiled filled, this is what keeps them cool, and by installing the in a horizontal, it may expose the internal windings causing them to run hotter. This is why we recommend mounting in a vertical position. It is also recommended to mount in a location away from direct heat, preferrable firewall or fender. If mounting to an engine this can create too much heat and could pose a problem in the long run.
Thanks,
msdtech2

74bronc
07-08-2003, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by msdtech2@Jul 8 2003, 02:02 PM
The MSD Blaster Coils are oiled filled, this is what keeps them cool, and by installing the in a horizontal, it may expose the internal windings causing them to run hotter. This is why we recommend mounting in a vertical position. It is also recommended to mount in a location away from direct heat, preferrable firewall or fender. If mounting to an engine this can create too much heat and could pose a problem in the long run.
Thanks,
msdtech2
Thanks, I really appreciate the answer. Looks like I am remounting my coil this weekend!!!

msdtech2
07-10-2003, 09:24 AM
No problem!
msdtech2