PDA

View Full Version : Msd 6a Missfiring

86MustConv
09-22-2003, 10:33 PM
I just installed a MSD 6A , with TFI Blaster Coil 8227 and 8874 harness in my 86 5.0. With only the coil connected the engine runs fine, with the 6A connected the engine idles fine, accelerates from idle fine, but misses when cruising at a constant speed or accelerating from cruise. Also my tach does not work with the 6A connected.

Any suggestions?

msdtech1
09-22-2003, 10:44 PM
What type of spark plugs are you running, and are they showing a lean condition? What other modifications to the engine have you made?As a test, try retarding the ignition timing a few degrees and run the engine to see if the problem goes away. If it does, you can either run the timing where it is at, or richen up the system slightly. If you are running an aftermarket tach, you will need to use the MSD PN 8910 tach adapter.

MSD Tech1

86MustConv
09-22-2003, 10:57 PM
Other modifications, Shorty headers, Cold air intake. Spark plugs are Bosch platinum. Stock tach

msdtech1
09-22-2003, 11:04 PM
I would recommend trying a set of conventional type plugs in the engine to see if the miss goes away. Also check the plugs for a lean condition, the modifications you have added will lean the engine slightly.

MSD Tech1