PDA

View Full Version : 6al Not Firing

D100
09-21-2003, 11:04 PM
Hi,
I recently removed my 6Al and Accel super coil from my race car.I installed it in my street rod(83 Dodge PU 360). Everything worked great in the car. The truck on the other hand won't start.
Everything is wired and grounded correctly.Not only is the batt grounded to the block, the block is grounded to the frame.I did the spark test and it passed. However, the dist is not recieving info to fire.
I have checked the wiring from box to the dist plugin. In fact, I used the same (dist to box) wiring that came out of the car.Normally, I would say the pickup coil is out in the dist. BUT, I can unhook the MSD and go back to the Mopar ECU and it fires right off and never misses a beat.

Any help would be appreciated!!!!!!!!!

msdtech2
09-22-2003, 08:46 AM
If you did the spark test and it fires, and it works on the factory module, then I would recommend checking the small red of the MSD Unit and making sure it has 12 volts when cranking and when in the run position. The other is that some of the Chrysler pick-ups have a weak signal to trigger the MSD Unit. In order to fix this, check the gap between the reluctor and magnetic pick up. If it is above 0.025 then reduce the gap and get it closer to the pickup, this can strengthen the signal at cranking speed. The other problem could be that you may not have enough cranking speed.

Thanks,
msdtech2

D100
09-22-2003, 06:40 PM
Thanks for the reply!
I pulled the dist today and found the problem. The gap between the trigger wheel and magnet was unreal! I'm amazed it ran with the stock setup. Reset the gap to 6, installed the dist, and it cranked right up!

Thanks again for all the help! :)

msdtech1
09-22-2003, 09:58 PM
Your welcome.

MSD Tech1