PDA

View Full Version : Skip In A 1990 Crown Vic

amo4387622
09-19-2003, 09:54 PM
I HAVE A 1990 CROWN VICTORIA WITH A 302 5.0 V8. I HAVE PUT IN MSD SUPER CONDUTOR WIRS, MSD CAP AND ROTOR, AND BOSCH +4 SPARK PLUGS. NOW I HAVE A SKIP IN THE CAR. HOW DO I GET RID OF THE SKIP?

THANKS FOR THE HELP

msdtech1
09-21-2003, 04:39 PM
Check to make sure that one of the wires does not have a broken conductor or has been damaged somehow. Use an ohm meter and check each wire from end to end. The resistance should be 40-50 ohms per foot of wire.

MSD Tech1

amo4387622
09-21-2003, 05:19 PM
I checked the wires and they are all with in the range you gave me. but i had the skip before i put the wires in and i checked the plugs but they look fine. if i have to replace the plugs what would be a good plug to put in indstead of the bosch.

THANKS FOR THE HELP

msdtech1
09-22-2003, 10:29 PM
Your first post stated the following "I HAVE PUT IN MSD SUPER CONDUTOR WIRS, MSD CAP AND ROTOR, AND BOSCH +4 SPARK PLUGS. NOW I HAVE A SKIP IN THE CAR. HOW DO I GET RID OF THE SKIP?". Now your post says "but i had the skip before i put the wires in ". I am a little confused as to where the problem originated at. Please clearify! As for plugs, I would use a set of conventional Autolite, Champion, AC or NGK plugs in the engine.

MSD Tech1

amo4387622
09-25-2003, 10:41 PM
I AM SORRY I DO NOT KNOW HOW LONG I HAD SKIP. BUT I THINK I GOT THE SKIP AFTER I PUT THE PLUGS IN. SO THEN I BROUGHT THE CAR TO A SHOP AND THEY SAID TO REPLACE THE WIRES CAP AND ROTOR. SO THAT IS WHEN I PUT THE MSD PRODUCTS IN BUT STILL HAD THE SKIP. SO THEN I CHECKED THE PLUGS AND THEY ALL LOOKED FINE. SO THIS IS WHY I NEED THE HELP.

THANKS FOR THE HELP

msdtech1
09-26-2003, 08:34 PM
Do you have any idea at what rpm the miss (skip) is occuring at? If it is detectable at idle, you can open the hood at night when it is dark outside and start the engine and look to see if you see any arcing anywhere. If you detect any arcing, concentrate on that area to see where it is coming from. Also, reduce the plug gap and then rerun the engine to see if the skip is reduced or is eliminated. What do the plugs look like when you remove them? are they running lean (White) or are they fouled? Is the fuel system working properly on the engine?

MSD Tech1

amo4387622
10-08-2003, 09:37 PM
I do not know what rpm the car is skipping at but i only feel it at a stand still. and i started the car up at night and i do not see any arcing. and the plugs are fine there is no foul and they are not white they look like a plug that is runnung normal. and u can not re gap the +4 plugs they are not normal plugs. and the fuel system is running fine had it checked out. what else could be the cause of the skip

Thanks for the help

msdtech1
10-08-2003, 10:02 PM
Since you are not sure when the skip started, it appears that the only way that you are going to be able to determine where the skip is coming from is to reverse the steps you took when installing all of the aftermarket componets. It may be that the skip was there all the time and it could be a mechanical problem in the engine. I have covered the majority of the ignition possibilities and the only thing that I would suggest is to try a conventional type spark plug or reinstall your old plug to see if that makes a difference. I would also look very closely at the cap and rotor to make sure they are not damaged or failing. You could also try a different coil as well. You stated that the fuel system is working correctly so if that is the case it does not leave many other external things to look at.

MSD Tech1

amo4387622
10-30-2003, 12:14 PM
thanks for the help you are giving me msdtech1. but out of the plugs you had suggested which one would be the best to go with performance wise.

Thanks for the help