PDA

View Full Version : Won't Start - Everything Is New

cap
09-19-2003, 08:05 PM
I purchased a complete MSD ignition system last year and it ran great until recently. My truck will turn over but, no spark. I've replaced everything - magnetic pickup, coil and box and it still won't start. I've got 12v to the small red wire running to the switch, I've got 12v and a good ground running to the box. I've tried shorting the system out to get a spark from the coil wire and nothing happens.

What am I over looking?

HELP, I need this truck.

Cap

amo4387622
09-19-2003, 10:01 PM
WHAT KIND OF TRUCK DO YOU HAVE AND ALL THE INFO ON THE IGTNITION SYSTEM WOULD HELP ME HELP YOU WITH THE PROBLEM. BUT FOR NOW I CAN GIVE YOU A POSSIBLE PINPOINT ON THE PROBLEM. HAVE YOU CHECKED OR REPLACED YOUR IGNITION MODULE THAT MIGHT BE THE CAUSE OF THE PROBLEM.

cap
09-19-2003, 11:38 PM
The truck is a 1978 F-250 Supercab with a 400 and an A/T. I'm using a 8580 Distributor, Blaster 3 coil and a 6al box. Both the box and coil are new (today) along with the pickup in the distributor.

Thanks,

Cap

wonderboy
09-21-2003, 01:37 AM
swap your coil out for a known good one and do the test again,
if nothing changes the box is proably suspect

im no tech, just tryin to help

msdtech1
09-21-2003, 04:12 PM
Was the engine running before installing all of the new ignition components? If so, then lets go through the test procedures again so that we can narrow down the problem area.

First, with an ohm meter check the resistance across the magnetic pickup wires (Black/Orange and Black/Violet). The resistance should read between 400-1300 ohms. Next, perform a spark test on the ignition as follows below.

Check to make sure that the positive (+) side of the coil only has the MSD Orange wire attached to it and the negative (-) side of the coil only has the MSD Black wire attached to it. No other wires should be attached to the coil.

The following test will determine if your MSD is producing a spark.

Magnetic Pickup Trigger:
If you are using the 2-Pin Magnetic Pickup of the MSD to trigger the ignition, follow these steps.

1. Make sure the ignition switch is in the Off position.

2. Remove the coil wire from the distributor cap and position the terminal so it is approximately 1/2" from a good ground.

3. Disconnect the MSD Magnetic Pickup connector from the distributor.

4. Turn the ignition to the On position. DO NOT CRANK THE ENGINE.

5. With a small jumper wire, short the Green and Violet magnetic pickup wires together then pull the jumper off. Each time the short is removed a spark should jump If spark is present, the ignition is working properly.

If there is no spark:

A. Inspect all of the wiring.

B. Substitute another coil and test again. If there is now spark, the coil is at fault.

C. If there is still no spark, check to make sure there is 12 volts on the small Red wire from the MSD when the key is in the On position. If 12 volts are not present, find another 12 volt source and repeat the test.

D. After inspecting the test procedures and inspecting all of the wiring, there is still no spark, the Ignition is at fault.

MSD Tech1