PDA

View Full Version : Problems With Mustang Pro Billet Distributor

Vettkilr
09-16-2003, 09:22 PM
I'm having an issue with a new MSD distributor that I installed on my 1992 Ford Mustang. The car runs fine for the first 25 miles, but once heat-soaked, the car (50% of the time) stalls while at speed for 1-2seconds and (100% of the time) misses and studders afterwards. In fact, today on the way home, the stalling frequency has increased to once every 3-5 minutes.

I bought the distributor BRAND NEW (Summit), and it only surfaced once this distributor was installed. I'm inclined to believe it's a TFI or a pickup sensor, but I'm not sure. Do you have any suggestions, and how would I go about getting it warranteed without sending the distributor in and disabling my car for two weeks, if this is the problem?

Thanks for the help!

msdtech2
09-17-2003, 10:32 AM
Unfortunately, the only way is to swap the distributor with your original distributor, or you could even swap the module on the side with the original and see if this takes care of the problem. If not you will either have to send it in or send it back to Summit for an exchange. You will have to contact them for the return policy, but we do have a warranty of 1 year from the date of purchase, but you will have to send it in with a copy of the sales receipt.
Thanks,
msdtech2

Vettkilr
09-17-2003, 02:27 PM
If I swap the module (TFI) and it fixes it, can I just send you the module and have it replaced, or do I have to send the whole distributor? Thanks for the reply!

msdtech2
09-17-2003, 02:49 PM
If the module fixes it, just send the module along with a copy of the sales receipt and we will get it replaced. Make sure to right an explanation of the problem that you are having as well as a phone # and a good return address.
Thanks,
msdtech2

Vettkilr
09-17-2003, 02:58 PM
Thanks, will do.

Do these issues occur more often due to these distributors being billet (retaining more heat) than the factory style "stamped" or "pot metal" ones? Can I expect these things to have a much shorter lifespan?

msdtech2
09-17-2003, 04:05 PM
The billet aluminum is capable of dissipating as much heat as the standard, but the design of the distributor is what will keep it cooler. The more edges a distributor has the more it is capable of dissipating the heat. Being that the distributor is mounted to the block and is an area where the heat will transfer it will dissipate through the distributor and since it is in front of the engine, it may get more airflow through it to keep it cool. So in either situation the life span would not be affect between either standard or aftermarket.
Thanks,
msdtech2